Callin' the Cap'n...whats this amp?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Bill: I believe that's a Guild Model 40T (tremolo); no guess on the date of manufacture but I think the seller has the tubes ID'd correctly. The 12X4 rectifier is the same thing as the more commonly seen 6X4 except that its filament is designed to operate on 12VAC, not 6VAC. As with the rectifier, the 12AB5 output tube is the same as the 6AQ5 except that it too runs on 12VAC. Since the 12AX7s run on 12 volts (6 volts but wired humbucker), using all 12V-filament tubes allows the mfr to buy a transformer with only two secondary windings; high voltage and 12v instead of the more common three secondary windings; high voltage, 6V for preamp and power tube heaters, and 5V for filaments in the 5-series family of rectifiers; 5Y3, 5UA4, 5AR4, GZ34. The 12AB5 in Class A (single-ended like this amp) is rated at about 5 watts.

The seller is a member here although I don't think he's posted recently. This amp has gone around a couple of times on eBay and one like it from a different seller was threaded here not too long ago. This seller remarked that he understood from discussion here that some of these models were made off-shore. Without being completely certain, I think the 40-series like the auction amp were made in the US but many/all(?) of the Model 50Js were made in Japan; identified by the open lugs on the bottom of the power transformer (shown below on the right) and the widespread use of electrolytic capacitors in the signal circuit (all the gray cylinders on the left).

Guild50Jcb.jpg

CJ

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, thank you very much for the electronics lesson, I had no idea that style was even employed. Those tubes do not seem too common, are they readily available?

My apologies to the seller, I thought that perhaps he was reading parts of worn off tube numbering and infered the rest, but you have set me straight, Cap'n! :oops:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Those tubes do not seem too common, are they readily available?
Hi Bill; the 12X4 and the 12AB5 are out of production but are still available as new old stock - both in the $5-$7 range. The 12AB5 and it's cousin the 6AQ5 were obsoleted by the 6BQ5/EL84 ... able to handle higher plate voltages, in the same smaller, 9-pin bottle, and the 6BQ5 thought by most people to have a more pleasing tone than than the 12AB5s/6AQ5s. If I was going to mess with this, I'd re-wire the 12AB5 output socket (move all the connections around) to accept an EL84 for which there are lots of subtle tone flavors out there, re-wire the heaters including replacing the 12X4 with a 6X4, and replace the baffle with one cut to accept at least a 10" speaker or a 12" if it would fit. With a little money and some sweat equity, it'd be a single-ended, EL84-driven FrankenGuild that would probably sound pretty good. CJ

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well then...clearly more than I would wish to tackle at this time, but thanks greatly for your expert evaluation.

I love your explanations on these amps...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thank you Bill. This was a student-model amp made/sold to undercut Champs and Skylarks. I know what you mean; for all the effort in fooling with it that I described, you could buy a late model re-issue EL84-based Gibson LPjr with a new 8" Eminence(?) speaker for the same money.

gilligan

Reaction score
Thanks also from me, CJ (& Bill), I was curious about this amp, too.

In the last couple of days I was outbid in the last 10 seconds for a Thunder amp under $260. My apologies to anyone here at the forum if I may have run-up the price for you. :oops:

gilligan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilligan said:
... In the last couple of days I was outbid in the last 10 seconds for a Thunder amp under $260. My apologies to anyone here at the forum if I may have run-up the price for you.
Hi Gilligan; if you were seriously interested, no blame can attach. If you see another one somewhere, you might consider posting your interest ... asking for the courtesy of the BB ... no guarantees that everyone will honor your request but no harm in asking. John