Silvertone 1446L

Reaction score
Hey, I found a nice old guitar the other day on my semi-local Craigslist. Some of you have probably seen this Silvertone model before--it' the one called the "Chris Isaak" because he plays one often. It's actually a Silvertone 1446L.

It's a pretty unique Silvertone because it's actually close to "pro quality" from where I'm sitting. The pickups are stock Gibson mini-humbuckers Harmony traded some guitar bodies for (or so the legend goes), and the tuners are the same Waverlys my CE-100D has. Nice inlays and everything too--the "Silvertone" logo is aluminum instead of painted. The Bigsby is stock. The neck feels a lot like one of the early, thicker Guild necks, and it is clear from the sound/style that Harmony was approximating a Gretsch-esque rockabilly guitar or a Gibson. I don't think they were so far off the mark, really.

Anyway, it plays great and it's quite clean. The bridge is a replacement Gibson bridge, but the original came with it. The year is either a '64 or '65. I bought it because I've never owned a single electric with 'buckers and I was curious. I'm not disappointed at all and I got it for a couple hundred less than they go for on ebay. I was actually on-the-clock on overtime while I checked it out (delivering parts down the I-5 corridor), but my boss had said "go for it" because it was supposed to be my day-off. That worked out well. 8)

4083974902_6e5b241521_m.jpg

4083214115_72f337d007_m.jpg

4083214499_7379211354_m.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I kind of like the asymmetrical treatment on the pickup surrounds. Looks nice.

Dave

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Beginner said:
It's a pretty unique Silvertone because it's actually close to "pro quality" from where I'm sitting. The pickups are stock Gibson mini-humbuckers Harmony traded some guitar bodies for (or so the legend goes), and the tuners are the same Waverlys my CE-100D has. Nice inlays and everything too--the "Silvertone" logo is aluminum instead of painted. The Bigsby is stock. The neck feels a lot like one of the early, thicker Guild necks, and it is clear from the sound/style that Harmony was approximating a Gretsch-esque rockabilly guitar or a Gibson. I don't think they were so far off the mark, really.

Not surprising that you find it "pro quality." Many of the high end Harmony made instruments rivaled the lower level "name" instruments of the time. It's too bad that eBay has driven the price up on so many of their models, although some of their classicals are still going for a reasonable price. You can still sometimes run across a solid spruce top with Brazilian fingerboard and bridge for $100 (or less).
Brad