Epiphone EA5 ... The Emporer Without His Clothes

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
eBay Auction Link to this '59-'61 Epiphone EA5 Emperor. Not in especially good condition but an interesting link between Epiphone and later Gibson 'Crest' models; 6-tube preamp, twin 7951s, and GZ34 rectifier ... close to 30 watts. Auction amp has replacement Realistic/Radio Shack speaker in it.

front.jpg

back.jpg

twinpic.jpg

Breakdown of the schematic by function (Link To Schematic). This is a more powerful and complex version of the Gibson GA19RVT; either the tweed or Crest versions and the reasonable, if not actual, predecessor to the Gibson Crest model GA30RVT Invader except that it only has one 12" speaker. This amp is fixed bias which means making the volume fluctuate for the tremolo function has to be done by manipulating line voltage.

function.jpg

The EA5 audio chain: Like the Ampeg RRs that post-date it, it uses an optical coupler to connect the oscillator to the line to abate snaps and pops. Like the GA19RVT, it uses the premium 7199 for reverb drive and recovery but, unlike the RRs, it couples the reverb can with a transformer, not a capacitor (or speaker like some Guilds)

audio.jpg

This amp has both bass and treble tone controls for both channels, a choke in the power supply to prevent the owaowaowa saggy thing that (some) people object to in choke-less 6V6 amps, and an additional gain stage v. the GA19. To get from this amp to the Gibson 'Crest' GA30RVT Invader (where did they get these names?), substitute a 6EU7 for the 7199 reverb operator and add a 0A2 tremolo voltage regulator and a 10" speaker to go with the 12" ... the only meaningful differences.

According to Gibson (from its self-congratulating webpage):

"In 1957 Gibson’s parent company, Chicago Musical Instrument, acquired Epiphone. The old line was discontinued and in 1959 a new era of tube amps were ushered in, manufactured at the Kalamazoo, Michigan facility. The Devon, Century, Zephyr and Emperor were a carry over by name only because the circuitry was actually the Gibsonette, GA20T, GA40 and GA77 respectively." [Juan's note: not exactly ... Epiphone produced two other versions of the 'Emperor', the EA4 and EA6; both were 6L6-driven like the GA77. The EA5 is 7591-driven ... like the later GA19RVTs and the GA30RVT.]

Continuing:

"The tube amps produced from 1959-61 were made in such small numbers that these early EA series have become highly sought after and very collectable. The EA5 Emperor, produced from ’59-61, the EA10 Deluxe, made from ‘59-61 and the EA12RVT Futura ‘61-67 were some of the more popular amps in the 1960’s. By 1965, Blues great Mike Bloomfield could be seen using a Futura with four 10” speakers at the Newport Folk Festival as he performed with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. “Mr. Tambourine Man”, the iconic Byrd’s hit from 1965, was recorded using an EA14RV, more commonly known as the Epiphone Ensign. This grey vinyl 50 watt combo had two 10” speakers and was forever captured recreating Roger McGuinn’s jangling intro to this famous song penned by Bob Dylan."

Some more Epiphone v. Gibson details Here and more Gibson/Epiphone self-praise Here. I think this amp has too much in common with the later Ampeg Reverberockets not to sound like one too. This one is rare but with Gibson amps generally, rare doesn't necessarily mean pricey.

CJ

Reaction score
This amp has both bass and treble tone controls for both channels

This may seem like a silly question, but I've wondered about the difference between amps with bass/mid/treb and amps with only bass/treb. When only the two are available, is the mid just combined into bass/treb? On my guitars, I usually keep the tone control a little shy of being completely on and the treb doesn't take over the bass, though I can hear the treble disappear when rolled off. Does this single control combine all three tones?

Cool amp anyway.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Beginner said:
... Does this single control combine all three tones?
Hi Caleb; well ... not exactly. Below is the wiring diagram for the controls for one Bluesbird pickup ... there's any number of ways to do this so don't be surprised if it doesn't match your guitar. The green arrows are the points of the control between which the resistance to ground is varied by spinning the pot. The cap in the middle is a 'high pass' filter. Its value governs the frequencies that it will pass ... probably set at about the mid-point of the guitar's frequency response blocking low frequencies but passing highs. The signal arrives at both vol and tone pots at the same time but if the tone control is full treble, then the tone pot's resistance to ground is highest, the hf (not Hatted Frau) doesn't reach ground, and stays in the signal. Since it is louder than bass, we hear lots of treble. If the control is set where there's very little resistance to ground, then the hf is 'bled' off and we hear bass.

guitartonepot.jpg

When it arrives at the volume pot, the signal sees that cap as a short ... if the control is set to maximum bass (low resistance to ground), the bass is blocked by the cap but the hf will pass right through the cap and go to ground. Nearly all controls like this are 'subtractive' ... they don't really 'add' anything, they subtract what you don't want. CJ

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just getting to this thread after a very long week, capnjuan. Very nice synopsis. I never knew anything about this model or any of its early Epi tweed-like companions. Seems like my Mighty Mite has some interesting heritage.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
Just getting to this thread after a very long week, capnjuan. Very nice synopsis. I never knew anything about this model or any of its early Epi tweed-like companions. Seems like my Mighty Mite has some interesting heritage.
Hi JP; thanks and I agree ... looks like some of the more powerful early Epis might have a lot to offer. Except for the (dyslexic?) draftsman's boo-boo on the schematic - 7195s v. 7591s - the schematic for this amp and the other contemporary Epis are noticeably cleaner and more articulate than Gibson schematics ... I wonder if that says something about Epi's engineering too? :wink: J

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Except for the (dyslexic?) draftsman's boo-boo on the schematic - 7195s v. 7591s -
I seem to recall a little flub on my schematic regarding 6EU6 tubes. . . :roll: Perhaps the drafting tables were too close to the spray booths?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
capnjuan said:
Except for the (dyslexic?) draftsman's boo-boo on the schematic - 7195s v. 7591s -
I seem to recall a little flub on my schematic regarding 6EU6 tubes. . . :roll: Perhaps the drafting tables were too close to the spray booths?
:lol: I think you could be right ... (or would that be left?) J