Never knew I had these

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
So I have this box of foo from my brother's days playing in bands -- mostly old moldy cords and such. I never really checked it thoroughly until last night. I pull out this small box in the bottom and unearthed a few goodies.

DSCF6560.jpg

and these

DSCF6561.jpg

and these.

DSCF6570.jpg

Unfortunately no tube tester in the box :(

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeez Louise :shock: Nice-looking pair of EL34s there ... if you just knew somebody who had one of those killer '60s Epiphone Mighty Mites :wink: ... and the 7027As ... like the 8417 ... obsoleted by the 6L6 ... Wow! Like finding $100 in the pants pocket of an old suit. :D J

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Jeez Louise :shock: Nice-looking pair of EL34s there ... if you just knew somebody who had one of those killer '60s Epiphone Mighty Mites :wink: ... and the 7027As ... like the 8417 ... obsoleted by the 6L6 ... Wow! Like finding $100 in the pants pocket of an old suit. :D J
Though I don't know much beyond the basics of what are supposed to be good, I do realize it is somewhat of a lucky find. The one 6CA7 looks kind of toasted, but maybe I'll just pop them in to give'em a try. Same with the Mullard 12AX7 and Philips 7025.

BTW, I did finally get a chance to get some gutshots for you capn. For me it's the equivalent of a monkey looking and the engine bay of a Delorean. I'm ashamed :oops: to say that I currently just put gas in it and drive it, though very rarely.

DSCF6562.jpg

DSCF6565.jpg

DSCF6564.jpg

DSCF6563.jpg

DSCF6566.jpg

Tube complement is currently
V1 - 12AX7 Penta Labs
V2 - 12AY7 unknown
V3 - 6EU7 RCA (not 6EU6 :oops: )
V4 - 6EU7 GE EK188-5
V5 - EL34G Sovtek
V6 - EL34G Sovtek

With my limited knowledge it looks a filter cap replacement, but I've never seen them in this dark blue-green color before. Foot switch has been cut off, but I have one to install. Wish I had a calmer life to give this the love it deserves, but as usual it's been lots of little boy projects!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP; unless there's something other than that splash of shiny getter on the inside, the 6CA7s could be fine ... used but fine. The caps taped up are the preamp filter caps ... others probably in the lower chassis ...yes, green's sort of an odd color but the 450V rating is encouraging. Somebody has gone through it and replaced all the coupling and tone caps with Orange Drops. 6EU7s indeed :wink: With all that Gibsonicci spaghetti, it's hard to tell what - if anything - might have been messed with. As they say, if you're getting good tone / it ain't broke.... Gibson used that black electrical tape to get the wiring to lay up against the chassis ... factory work believe it or not. Depending on the power transformer, if it's cranking out 450V, you could be getting as much as 50 watts out of that amp! John

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi JP; unless there's something other than that splash of shiny getter on the inside, the 6CA7s could be fine ... used but fine. The caps taped up are the preamp filter caps ... others probably in the lower chassis ...yes, green's sort of an odd color but the 450V rating is encouraging. Somebody has gone through it and replaced all the coupling and tone caps with Orange Drops. 6EU7s indeed :wink: With all that Gibsonicci spaghetti, it's hard to tell what - if anything - might have been messed with. As they say, if you're getting good tone / it ain't broke.... Gibson used that black electrical tape to get the wiring to lay up against the chassis ... factory work believe it or not. Depending on the power transformer, if it's cranking out 450V, you could be getting as much as 50 watts out of that amp! John
Thanks capn! I'll give'em a try tomorrow. Surprisingly, it's not as loud as I think it should be, judging by the hunka iron in the bottom. It does have a very satisfying dirty sound at just past halfway. It wouldn't surprise me if I the preamp tubes are a little tired. I have a small assortment of 12AX7s that I'll swap out in a little round table session. It might do some good for the reverb as well. I don't care much for the reverb which sounds like a hollow plate reverb. I'm certain that the short spring can has a role in that, and I may try a longer one if I decide to keep this little screamer. Interesting to know that about the Orange Drops. I wasn't at all sure if those were original or not.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP: yes, you can do a little tube rolling to see which of the 12AX7s give you a little more tone but, if you'd like to know if love is real, considering getting a couple of Sprague 25uf/25V capacitors from Antique Electronic Supply and put them in as indicated in the lower half of the pic below, GA19RVT above (with its share of OD caps) and your EA22 below. Don't know why they weren't replaced when the filter caps were but ... easy job; heat and remove, replace, solder in ... observing polarity:

GA19EA22chassisb.jpg

The little white cap on the left doesn't show on the Gibsonicci schematic ... but it does show a pair of 6EU6s :shock: (your score has been adjusted) 6EU7s at V3 and V4 ... 3rd and 4th preamp tubes from the left viewed from the rear ... if you're going to do some tube rolling ... Also, if the amp already has the three-wire cord shown on the schematic, the 'death cap' in the circle can go.

The GA19, like the EA22, has 4 preamp tubes, reverb, and trem. The EA22 has separate treble and bass controls and is fixed bias ... but I can't explain why - to do pretty much the same functionality - the EA22 has two circuit boards instead of one; that is, so many more resistors and capacitors ... :? :D John

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
considering getting a couple of Sprague 25uf/25V capacitors from Antique Electronic Supply and put them in as indicated in the lower half of the pic below,
Oooh! Hey, I think I can do that much. Although I'll have to PM you a little later today for specifics when time allows. I'm excited to breathe more life into this amp. :D :D Thanks capn!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Happy to help JP; biggest concern is a soldering iron whose point is tapered (small) enough to heat the solder joint without loosening up the adjacent joints but not so small - smaller irons tend to be in the 10-15 watt range - that they take a long time to heat up and melt solder. J

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I lust after a little tech station workshop complete with the Weller soldering station, a varistor, scopes, meters, tube testers, et al. Right now my little 25 watter will have to suffice. Kinda crazy about the recent price jump with solder!

Maybe lead is gonna be worth than gold, eh?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
I lust after a little tech station workshop complete with the Weller soldering station, a varistor, scopes, meters, tube testers, et al. Right now my little 25 watter will have to suffice. Kinda crazy about the recent price jump with solder! Maybe lead is gonna be worth than gold, eh?
You are part way there .... it's about RoHS Compliance. The lead is out of solder ... gotta be thinking .... (and paying for) .... Green.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
it's about RoHS Compliance. The lead is out of solder ... gotta be thinking .... (and paying for) .... Green.
Yup. . . hence my lead reference. I had to deal with compliance issues for this with some aerospace projects in the land of tall svelte blond people. The whole industry saw it coming down the pipe a couple of years before it was made law, and everyone was scramblin' to get the lead out so to speak. Sorry about that :oops: . . . I couldn't resist.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Beginner said:
I have a bunch of "RoHS Compliant" stickers at my shop, if anybody want to put some on their old solder and feel Green. :wink:
Hi Caleb; the Green stuff I have produces a dull/not shiny joint ... which used to be a tip off for a suspected cold joint. So ..... our work now may be Green but it looks suspicious ... Yes, I know we're all better off ... just not sure how. :?

ce blues

Reaction score
sorry greenies, I really like solder with lead in it....so a couple of years ago I stocked up in anticipation of it going the way of leaded gasoline, paint, etc.
blue

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I had some interesting experiences working in manufacturing in Sweden for a period of years. The regulatory system for industry reflects their overall respect and concern for the environment -- a classic hallmark of Scandinavian culture.

Because of the less mercenary or perhaps less sophisticated approach to marketing, many things are labeled exactly what they are, and people are very knowledegable about the products they use. What we call Super Glue or Crazy Glue here will simply be labeled cyanoacrylate glue. What we may know as Mega Slick 3000 would be called teflon spray. I thought it quite refreshing to be able see through the consumer fog more easily, as it were -- no veils, no smoke, and mirrors -- just the truth.

So I was once extolling the virtues of this incredible sticker removal stuff I used in the States called Blaster to a group of workers at the lunch table. They laughed about the typically American-named product, and they asked me what was in it. Industry secrets being what they are in the U.S., it was of course never listed in detail on the label. "I have no clue," I told them, "Some carefully guarded secret sauce recipe?" They laughed again, and then they got very serious. "And of course, it really works well," my co-worker said, "not like all the eco-products here." Then he just sighed wistfully. "Yes, of course," a few of the others chimed in, equally glum.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP; saw this thread over on the Gear Page re/ 6CA7s v. EL34s. Offered for its confusion value. I, like a lot of other people thought the two tubes were the same; 'same' in the sense of no meaningful distinctions ... interchangeable. According to several people in the thread, there are distinctions ... but, for all their collective knowledge, they don't answer the question of whether the distinctions were meaningful ... have aspirin nearby before reading it. :? :roll: :wink:

DSCF6560.jpg

ce blues

Reaction score
ah....a group of like-minded curmudgeons! Honestly, I sometimes have a problem getting a good joint when I use the compliant stuff. It is quite possible that I somehow unconsciously sabotage those joints because of my political aversion to the whole green/environmentally-friendly trend that has screwed up so many neat products over the years. I really loved leaded, high octane gasoline in my muscle car and pickups (also with big block V8s), I guess I'm just a throwback to the sixties.

blue