Really tired of the Handmade's vs the factory made threads

Tony Burns

Reaction score
Not as much here , but i just wish these people would stop arguing over whats better-Their has also been a rash of what determines a handmade guitar etc, etc- I just believe if you like the sound, does it really matter ?

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree.......and I'm a vegetarian...........I only eat animals that eat plants :wink: Steffan

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steelpickin' said:
Hi Tony,
I agree 100%. Sorry if any of my threads in this section offended you.

Larry

Yes Larry, we would like you to take up accordion. It would really help the GAS pains.

I have no opinion about handmade verses factory accordions, as long as they burn at the same rate.

cjd-player

Reaction score
Tony Burns said:
Not as much here , but i just wish these people would stop arguing over whats better-Their has also been a rash of what determines a handmade guitar etc, etc- I just believe if you like the sound, does it really matter ?

I presume you are referring to AGF. One thing I have to keep in mind over there myself is that AGF is a forum about guitars first, people second, or even third. Yea, people really get into how wide the kerfing slots are spaced, which way they face, and how the brand of sandpaper used on the top braces will effect the tone of the guitar. Some of those folks just live and die for that kind of stuff. Lots of useful information as well, but I find I have to wade through lot of mud to pick out the gems.

I think that LTG is more about people and having fun playing our instruments. IMHO.

I think that Larry's posts about his build share his excitement and fun with the project without slightest implication of snobbery about a "handmade" guitar. I think it's fun to watch his progress.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:
Steelpickin' said:
Hi Tony,

Larry

Yes Larry, we would like you to take up accordion. It would really help the GAS pains.

I have no opinion about handmade verses factory accordions, as long as they burn at the same rate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
I presume you are referring to AGF. One thing I have to keep in mind over there myself is that AGF is a forum about guitars first, people second, or even third. Yea, people really get into how wide the kerfing slots are spaced, which way they face, and how the brand of sandpaper used on the top braces will effect the tone of the guitar. Some of those folks just live and die for that kind of stuff. Lots of useful information as well, but I find I have to wade through lot of mud to pick out the gems.

I think that LTG is more about people and having fun playing our instruments. IMHO.

I think that Larry's posts about his build share his excitement and fun with the project without slightest implication of snobbery about a "handmade" guitar. I think it's fun to watch his progress.

Quite right !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K7zO3VIl0

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
TonyT said:
Handmade don't mean nothin' if it ain't hand played.
Hehehe!!! Yeah, there's definitely that! I'd really like to see someone program a robot to play guitar. That would be funny as hell! I'll bet it could be done. The tolerances on today's CNC machines are very impressive; I'll bet we could get Stairway to Heaven going in no time. :D

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
cjd-player said:

I agree. It's more about the guitars over there. Some of the people are a little snobish, but lots of them are just regular folks who worked and saved real hard for a custom guitar. There are some outstanding players there as well. Also, you've got to remember that the membership at AGF is huge, so it's a lot less personal. A different world than LTG, but I enjoy spending a bit of time there. 8)

Frosty

Reaction score
Tony Burns said:
I just believe if you like the sound, does it really matter ?

Nope. It's just something to spend time obsessing about when really... you should be practicing playing your guitar. :wink:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yeah, but this guy who lives next door to my in-laws makes these really great handmade accordions........ :?

I was probably as guilty as anyone about the virtues of the handmade guitar I commissioned for my daughter.
My justifications:
It was for my daughter.
It was built by a friend whose work I admired and wanted to promote.
It was cloned from the Guild CO-1C.
Is it better than my D-55? No. But it's still a gem. And it does get played. She just won't let me play it.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Alright, enough of that handmade crap. The only thing I want to hear about is this one:

bodyfront.jpg
completedbck.jpg
fullfront.jpg

Hehehee... sorry, I couldn't resist. This is an 18" jumbo 12 that was built for a guy on the UMGF. Since Guild doesn't make one any more, it only seems fitting. :) It's from a luthier named Richard Clark. I really do want one and I feel no need to justify it to you fellas whatsoever. :D

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Default said:
Steelpickin' said:
Hi Tony,

Larry

Not to mention banjos :wink:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, wait a doggone minute: Guilds are hand made :D

Actually, there are some real advantages to the tolerances and repeatability afforded by some of the machine processes, and I think the production folks also get into a groove after doing so many of the same processes. Just my $.02 worth...