Beige ThunderBird on eBay

john_kidder

Reaction score
I still have the tolex and mother-of-trailer-park Mactac from a Thunderbird which was already in poor shape when shipped, and arrived disintegrated. Another one I bought was dry and sound, packed very well, and arrived in good condition.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Unlike a good Claret, that model 'Bird doesn't travel all that well. :evil:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Prime candidate for a repro cabinet from Vintage Restoration.
... If done, I'd hope the cab maker could show the amp a little respect ... maybe move the motif away from that 'goes-with-your-new-dinette' look ... call me crazy but I don't think people keep amps in the kitchen the way they used to ...

gilded

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
call me crazy but I don't think people keep amps in the kitchen the way they used to ...

No, CJ, I'm not going to call you crazy, but never forget (or is it "always remember"?) it's, 'amps in the kitchen, acoustics in the dining room, electrics in the long back hallway and the PA in the garage!'

john_kidder

Reaction score
gilded said:
always remember it's 'amps in the kitchen, acoustics in the dining room, electrics in the long back hallway and the PA in the garage!'

That's why I catch hell - I've been doing it all wrong, as usual. Thanks, Gilded, you may have saved my marriage.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilded said:
capnjuan said:
call me crazy but I don't think people keep amps in the kitchen the way they used to ...
No, CJ, I'm not going to call you crazy, but never forget (or is it "always remember"?) it's, 'amps in the kitchen, acoustics in the dining room, electrics in the long back hallway and the PA in the garage!'
Thanks Harry; I went down to my kitchen and looked around for awhile ... and I didn't see any amps anywhere ... I guess I've been making the same mistake John K has. Maybe I'll score something that I can put a perforated stainless steel grill on that will fit where the dishwasher goes ...

JazzWest

Reaction score
Had one identical to this, sold and regret it now. These really are the smoothest sounding amps, and having the 7951 in a fixed bias circuit, give them that extra headroom that the T1-RVTs lack for performing. But don't get me wrong I'll never part with my beige T1-RVT! If I recall my Thunderbird had a 12" Oxford speaker and see this one has the Jensen "Concert" series. I can say that mine with the Oxford speaker had that "Deluxe Reverb" vibe, that smooth compression, break up.

Also another great tech feature on these Thunderbirds is that each 7591 power tube has it's own trim pot for bias adjusment. No worries on finding a matched set. Well JJs are around now but if you'r hunting for old stock then it helps...

Overall a clean Thunderbird, hope the seller packs it well and someone from LTG ends up with it....

gilded

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
gilded said:
capnjuan said:
Thanks Harry; I went down to my kitchen and looked around for awhile ... and I didn't see any amps anywhere ... I guess I've been making the same mistake John K has. Maybe I'll score something that I can put a perforated stainless steel grill on that will fit where the dishwasher goes ...
john_kidder said:
gilded said:
always remember it's 'amps in the kitchen, acoustics in the dining room, electrics in the long back hallway and the PA in the garage!'

That's why I catch hell - I've been doing it all wrong, as usual. Thanks, Gilded, you may have saved my marriage.

Always glad to do my bit for the continuation of the marital state, Mr. Kidder. And Cj, the trick is to start with one small amp in the kitchen, disassemble it, then bring your soldering iron set in. Heat up the iron and be sure to burn some holes in the formica table top. That way, you'll know where to set up the next amp you bring in. I'm sure you can take it from there........

matsickma

Reaction score
It looks like the Thunderbird amp sold at a respectable price of $468. It was a decent looking amp with an origional cover and the great sounding Jensen Concerto speaker. Shipping as always with this amp is a trick. However the item most susceptable to being damaged in shipping is the Power and Standby switches. They have plastic levers and easily get snapped. Most amps I see have had the switches replaced. I once bought an amp with the origional switches intact and by the time it arrived they were nubs.

M