1964 Gibson GA-5 (I think)

powdog

Reaction score
Hi all. I picked up a Gibson Crestline Skylark off the e-auction site a month ago. No speaker or back panel, but all of the tubes intact. I threw in a 10" alnico Oxford, and it's a real hummer. I pulled out the chassis to do a cap-job, and the circuit doesn't look like the schematic I have for a Crestline Skylark. Looks more like an Epi EA-50T minus the tremolo. The circuit is certainly original and unmolested, and the pots/trannies date it to 1964. I know that 1964 was a transition year for the Skylark, and the Epiphone amps were comming out of the same plant as the Gibsons, but is this a normal deviation for these amps? Admittedly this is the first Gibson I've worked on, so I must digress to the experience of the gentlemen here on this forum.
Another interesting note is that after I replaced and formed all of the electrolytics, input #2 really buzzed. Upon looking I found that the star ground for the entire amp, including the filter caps, terminated at the ground lug of the #2 input jack. Relocating the star ground point to one of the power transformer bolts fixed my buzz. Was this a common grounding scheme on these early Gibsons? All in all I gotta say that this amp is pretty cool. I swapped out the 6AQ5's with some JAN 6005's and it really cooks when dimed. As always, I appreciate your input.

-PD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi PD and congratulations on your Skylark! Gibson made lots of changes on the fly to their amps ... it's not uncommon to find out that what's inside doesn't match the public domain schematic. Sometimes there's more than 1 schematic out there - I have 3 schematics for the GA19RVT :evil: - you might keep poking around and find a better match. Is yours 6EU7 / 6C4 in the preamp? If it's any help, I have that schematic; pm me w/ your email addie if you want it.

Gibson never had the engineering discipline that other manufacturers did; that's generally how come the hodge-podge of models and inconsistent grounding theory amp-to-amp-to-amp. Some Gibson 6V6 amps ground the center tap to the chassis; others dump in on the 6V6 / pin 1 ground bus. If the preamp is grid-leak biased, grounding fresh ps caps the way they are 'supposed' to be done will produce hummarama ... in which case the fix is getting the center tap to its own ground but ... I guess it's part of their charm. Does you amp look like this? CJ

GibsonGA5Crest01.jpg

powdog

Reaction score
Hey CJ. The amp in the picture is the one I have. It has the 6EU7 preamp and 6C4 phase inverter, but like the EA50T it has 68K input resistors, 500pF/.005 uF coupling caps and the second 6EU7 stage 2.2K cathode resistor is bypassed by a 0.1 cap. No tremolo or tone controls. If you have a Skylark schematic that reflects the differences, I would sure like it. Thanks a million.

-PD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi PD; send me a PM w/ your email address in it; the BB email/PM system doesn't support attachments. 100K input resistors not 68K but it's pretty close. CJ