Anyone own an Eastman acoustic?

archiestone

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been thinking about getting a concert-sized acoustic and ran into the recently closed-out Eastman AC508 S (slothead) onine.
Looks very nice but have never played one. Any opinions on this model or Eastmans in general? They're Made in China but are apparently hand-crafted by people who know what they're doing.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I have 3 different Eastman acoustics: A jumbo in rosewood, a carved-arched back OM sized maple backed and one similar to what you are looking at, a slot head, in maple also. (And an El Rey jazz guitar) These are very affordable guitars, in that the most I paid for any of them was about $650. The slot headed one is my favorite and in many ways reminds me of my Martin OM. To me these are better sounding and feeling than the Chinese Guilds. Only negative is that, at least ones I have gotten, the finish tends to have some checking and or inconsistencies to them. Nothing glaring, but not a super glossed finish that you might find on a high priced guitar. Eastman claims this is factor of the "hand worked" element of manufacture. The Mandolin Store in AZ has a good supply and decent pricing and will work with you.
http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts ... ategory=53
Do a search for several recent discussions of Eastmans over at AGF.

Hope this helps,
tj

archiestone

Reaction score
Guild Total
tjmangum, Nice to hear from you!
I perused The Mandolin Store's site and they look like a class outfit with a few interesting pieces.
Thanks for the tip. Archie