The Definitive Book on Gibson Amps

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bluesdan asked once how come I didn't try to write something like this. Considering the books on Fender and Ampeg, a book on Gibsons had to be far behind ... I'm sorry, I meant couldn't be far behind. Sure would be nice to see a book on Guild amps :wink: Blurb below and publisher's URL. Supposed to be available end of January 09

Gibson Amplifiers 1933-2008 – 75 Years * of the Gold Tone, Wally Marx

"This is the first and only book devoted entirely to Gibson amplifiers. This 192-page book contains a 16-page color pictorial section, the entire history of Gibson amplifiers through 2008, an overview of amplification from the early 20th century, a complete guide section including every standard production Gibson amplifier with specifications, shipping totals, pictures, and a CD-ROM containing the entire Gibson Amplifier Master Service Book in PDF format witn owner’s manuals and schematics for Gibson amplifiers produced between 1936 and 1966 * . Other amplifiers produced by Gibson are covered as well including Epiphone, Maestro, Kalamazoo, SG Systems, and Lab Series. For the first time, a book is now available solely about Gibson amplifiers making this book a must for any amplifier enthusiast!"

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Home/Default.aspx

* '66-'36 = 30 years but title says 75 years ....hmmm ... the other 45 years are the 'Lost Years'?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Steve; I think Wally Marx, the author, is also a member over on Buffalo Rob's Gibson BB. I got a Buffalogram from him today pointing me towards it. And yes, ....... I paid for the expedited delivery :oops: :wink: I'll be interested to see whether he ID'd the 3 X 6EU7 version of the GA20T or that Will O' the Wisp tweed 3 X 12A_7 'Crest' I sent you pics of. If not, maybe I can get an honorable mention in Volume 2 ...

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oooh! Gotta get one too!

BTW Shouldn't you and matsickma be working on The Definitive Guide to Vintage Guild Amplifiers book?
That is, of course, unless they aren't being covered in "The Bible" Part II.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
Oooh! Gotta get one too! BTW Shouldn't you and matsickma be working on The Definitive Guide to Vintage Guild Amplifiers book? That is, of course, unless they aren't being covered in "The Bible" Part II.
Thanks for the compliment JP but matsickma knows way more than I do about Guild amps ... I but tinker with them. I'm looking forward to the Gibson book too. Best, J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
guildzilla said:
Cool stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
My pleasure Z ... looking forward to 16 color pages of amp .............. pics. :wink: J

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the heads-up, I'm gonna have to get that.

The definitive book on Paul Bigsby and his creations is out too btw, still have to get that too.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's another guy that could have ruled the world, if he could bring himself to delegate. PA did everything himself, even his own books.

BluesDan

Reaction score
Very cool Cap, thanks for the link, definitely one to add to the library. I told ya the world needed a definitive Gibby Amp book....... :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You're welcome Dan ... saves me the trouble of trying to write one :wink: Amazon.com says the Bigsby book is Not yet released.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi John; it's a GA30 - Schematic Here. Another GA30 ... dressed in black for a night on the town:

GA30early-1.jpg

More on the GA30s Here (scroll 1/2 way down) and Here: Early GA series. The next version was Two-tone / Two-tone years, 2nd style, like Mad Dog's GA40LP followed by the tweed model like my GA30, the first in the series with reverb:

GA30cluster.jpg

As there are with any brand products, there are Gibsonistas who swear that the '50s models like the one in the auction with their 6SJ7 preamp tubes sound better than anything else Gibson ever produced. With fresh caps and other passive parts, they'll do everything except high-volume cleans and metal. I've stayed away from them because in the condition/price ranges I can afford, the bottom-sitting chassis tend to get rusty and the paint on the control panels can't be brought back as well the chrome on later models but they are really warm, fat, fine-sounding amps.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
John:

Thanks for the tip. That's a must read.

It's is a book I suspect you could have written. If not that one, what book should your first one be? Something tells me you have much to say and the ability to connect with readers ...
MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael and thank you for the compliment. Yes, I would have liked to have written this book ... but I'm not sure I could have met or exceeded Hans Moust's standard. Provided I could screw up the energy, I'd probably leverage off The Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance with something like: Your Vintage Gibson Amp Is Your Studebaker:

63studebakerhawk289supercharger.jpg

I don't think they really give that much away to the Stingrays / GTOs / 426 Hemis of the era. Best, John

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Now who is leading whom to temptation???

I'll trade you all my amps for that Studebaker ...
MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
I'll trade you all my amps for that Studebaker ...MD
They never had the dealership network or the marketing budget to compete with the other muscle cars of the era; GTOs, 442s, Plymouth Furys. The one in the pic has a Ford-licensed 289 cid V8 with a Judson supercharger on it - it's a '62. The '63s had GM 4-speeds and knock-off 327 cid engines; with the factory-option supercharger ... as delivered, 425 hp. An extraordinary piece of American design, engineering, and manufacturing.

teleharmonium

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
As there are with any brand products, there are Gibsonistas who swear that the '50s models like the one in the auction with their 6SJ7 preamp tubes sound better than anything else Gibson ever produced. With fresh caps and other passive parts, they'll do everything except high-volume cleans and metal. I've stayed away from them because in the condition/price ranges I can afford, the bottom-sitting chassis tend to get rusty and the paint on the control panels can't be brought back as well the chrome on later models but they are really warm, fat, fine-sounding amps.

Cap'n, have you tried any glass 6SJ7s in a guitar amp ?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
teleharmonium said:
Cap'n, have you tried any glass 6SJ7s in a guitar amp ?
Have not; I have two GA20Ts with 5879 pentodes in channel 2; one runs well but needs a new speaker and the other hums pretty hard although I believe I know why. Are the 6SJ7s worth the price of admission?