Gibson GA-5 handwired guitar amp

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cute little beggar, what's it worth? . Criminy, it seems a lot of interesting gear for sale lately.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/910453364.html

1fd14413a3n43kd3l68b7c73b8247ed1a1861.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jeff: there are lots of these on eBay and because there are so many, they tend to go 'wholesale'; $350-$425; this guy's price is near new/retail. If you think you might be interested, PM Fungi, he has one. J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bump: The McCoy which is real. Clean, original version of the GA5 with a 6V6 Here. This will probably sell for less than what's being asked for the CL GA5.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
That '59 looks sweet & an awful lot like my '60... which is much more road weary.

They are both cool amps, but I prefer the older ones. For what it's worth, when I
sell my newer one it will be for about half of what the one on Craigslist is going for.

Here's my '60 (top) & '06
GA5s3.jpg

GA5s2.jpg

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
They are both cool amps, but I prefer the older ones. For what it's worth, when I sell my newer one it will be for about half of what the one on Craigslist is going for.

I've been looking at the new ones. What don't you like about it?

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
AlohaJoe said:
They are both cool amps, but I prefer the older ones. For what it's worth, when I sell my newer one it will be for about half of what the one on Craigslist is going for.

I've been looking at the new ones. What don't you like about it?

Nothing at all. Great little amp, and AMAZING value when they were blowing them out for $300. Just sold mine the other day because I'm clearing out a bunch of gear, but I really liked it... just didn't use it enough to justify hanging onto it because I'm rarely home.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi AJ; These are original Gibson Les Paul Jrs LPJ Example 1 and LPJ Example 2. Both have single 6V6s, 6" X 9" oval speakers, and speaker-mounted field coil transformers.

For contrast, these are GA5 Skylarks; SKY Example 1 because the output tube is so skinny, probably either a single 6AQ5 or 6BQ5/EL84 (the model was sold with both), SKY Example 2 fitted with a single 6V6, and SKY Example 3; a GA5T fitted with a 6BM8 to provide tremolo which, at the time, none of the other single-ended LP Jrs or Skylarks offered ... although later Skylarks did. The same GA5T circuit was used in Gibson's GA1RT; a remote reverb unit; having owned one, a really fine-sounding amp.

The Skylarks were sold to compete with Fender Champs and 5E2 Princetons; apart from using a resistor in the power supply instead of a choke like the Champ/Princeton, a resistor value here and there, and if the Skylark is fitted with a 6V6, they are the same amps. Strictly speaking, what Gibson re-issued wasn't the Les Paul Jr.; what's out there is the 6BQ5/EL84 version of the Skylark with the Les Paul Jr model name that, for marketing reasons, Gibson scotch-taped to it. The reissues use an EL84, Fungus' GA5 is a 6V6-model Skylark and, beyond the tube type, there's no other useful distinction.

These are single-ended, Class A amps that have their charms; intoxicating tone, simplicity, ease of maintenance, and mojo to burn ... and their limitations; 8 watts tops for power, limited headroom, and in original configuration, usually mated to an 8" speaker. I'm a big fan of the 6V6 but based on the comments of Mad Dog and others more familiar with the EL84, I'd guess the 6V6 is a little warmer, darker, maybe thickish where the EL84 is a little drier, breaks up a little later, and probably more clarity with higher frequencies. CJ

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Thanks, that really helps. My wife recently bought a 50's vintage Magnatone lap steel and its matching (MOTS) little 5w amp. The tone out of that little guy is very cool and brought me to the realization that when it comes to wattage sometimes less is more, thus the interest in the GA-5 or the under-$200 Fender/Gretsch reissue. I know the GA-5 is PTP wired and has a little larger speaker but they're discontinued so it's more difficult to try one out. I'm just looking for a light grab-and-go for jam parties and home practice, possibly some recording. Does anybody have experience comparing the two?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
Thanks, that really helps. My wife recently bought a 50's vintage Magnatone lap steel and its matching (MOTS) little 5w amp. The tone out of that little guy is very cool and brought me to the realization that when it comes to wattage sometimes less is more ...
You're welcome AJ and I agree with you about less being more. Good luck with your research. CJ