New Amp Day!

instanthuman

Reaction score
I traded two solid state amps that I do not use for one I hope I will. It is a Blackheart Little Giant 3/5 watt combo. It has a 12 inch Eminence speaker and it seems to be very solidly put together. I listened to the music store guy play my Peavey T-60 through it and he commented on how good the guitar felt to play--asked me if I wanted to sell it (NO!). Naturally, one of the cool things about this amp is how easy it is to saturate the tubes and get that overdriven sound. Things were confused a bit by the fact that the phase switch of the T-60 was on, but that led to a small discovery. The distorted out of phase sound reminded me right away of a Green Day song as I played a sequence of chords. Now Green Day is not necessarily where I want to go, but it showed off some of the possibilities of the amp and of course, the T-60 (which seems to be able to fit many different kinds of music, as we like to point out on the unofficial T-60 forum I belong to).

Low watts, no effects. Just tube tone!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
instanthuman said:
... Low watts, no effects. Just tube tone!
Hi IH and congratulations on your new amp. From Elderly Instruments: "Blackheart BH5-112 "Little Giant Combo"

Class "A" all tube combo amp powered by an EL84 and voiced through a 12AX7 pre-amp tube. 5 watts, 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker outs, solid state rectifier, volume with 3-band EQ, pentode (5 watt) / triode (3 watt) switch, 12" Eminence speaker, tuned open-back cabinet design. This combo is a truly classic boutique amplifier design delivered in a robust, stylish package!"

The BH looks like their interpretation of the never-say-die Fender Champ and its single-ended relatives; the Silvertone 1471/1481 and Gibson GA5 but with an EL84 instead of a 6V6. The pentode/triode switch and multiple outputs are nice touches! CJ