Found a great Tacoma

tjmangum

Reaction score
Have had my eyes open for a Tacoma parlor guitar for a while now and came across this last weekend in a nice little shop in Corvallis, Oregon. It's a PR40 from 1998.
PR40_front.jpg

PR40_back.jpg

Amazingly low price, great woods and detail and just a tiny touch of the Tacoma finish problem. Since this brand laid the foundation for a place to build Tacoma Guilds, I figured, must have some solid workmanship value to it. Prior to this all I've really seen of Tacoma has been the off center sound hole, satin finish, Chiefs along with the Papoose "A" scale guitar (with same finish) I got a few months ago when I figured it would help my lead playing (if any of you play golf you know that it's not the golfer - it's the equipment that's always at fault :lol: )
Anyway, while I remain a solid Guildster, I am going to look into this brand some more. My understanding is that Fender has said (don't know whether it's official or unofficial) that Tacoma is not going to Connecticut and that it will start a limited model production of this line in China - but no more round holed models. Which reminds me of a joke that a manager of a music store told me: How do you stop the war in Iraq? You have Fender buy it.
Cheers,
tj

tjmangum

Reaction score
Hi West,
Well, it's got a deep, resonant and fairly loud sound, that I think must come from it's depth. Body is 4 3/4" at the lower bout. Fun little solid guitar. Makes some of the more conventional sized parlors seem "sissy" like :D I can see why Fender thought this was a factory that could make Guilds too.
Cheers,
tj