These kids are so good

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

The General

Reaction score
I just got done listening to several songs from Sungha Jung and I have to admit that this kid is absolutely amazing at 11 years old. You can't help but to think how awesome he will be in another 10 years.
On another point, I would like to thank Darryl Hattenhauer.
You have left some great post here in the past that have led me to some great discovery's and I have found some of these people nothing short of pure amazement. Eva Cassidy, Katie Melua and Tommy Emannuel are just a few. There are others of have posted too, So I thank you also.

You tube has turned into such a great venue to find some of the most incredible video's. I absolutely love it.
Thanks !
Martin :D

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here are a couple of vids by a kid I think is one to watch--Philip Whybra. He can already pull of Doyle Dykes and Tommy Emmanuel tunes, and I think he's probably about 13 yrs old too. He's even got sponsorship!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viGDe8H2eA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZCsG8cMsk&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKOydLlssc&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3j1f8ukZ4&feature=related

Nuts! His right-hand technique is already as developed as a twenty something! :shock:

cjd-player

Reaction score
Darryl, don't be disheartened.

Pretty much everywhere I go to play, there is someone who can do something better than me, if not play everything better than me. (Not to imply that that is a surprise because I'm some great player or anything.)

I think that if we play only to be or become the best, we are missing something. I play because I enjoy playing. I do think one has to achieve a certain minimum skill level so that you can actually enjoy playing. But once you are to that point, then the fun begins. I can do a few things well enough to satisfy myself and enjoy myself. Will I ever play like those kids, or Chet Atkins, or Tommy Emmanuel, or Doyle Dykes, or countless other musical geniouses? No. Never.

I play because I enjoy making music. I can express my emotions in my music that I can't express well with words. When our beloved dog died, I composed a song. When my daughter got married, I composed a song. When I feel sad or depressed I can play some songs. When I feel happy and elated I can play some songs. Maybe the same songs, just played differently. I can play those songs that I composed and be taken back to the fond memories of our dog with our kids and the excitement and significance of the wedding.

I don't play "for" other prople. If other people hear what I play and like it, so be it. If other people hear what I play and don't like it, so be it. I play for me. Not out of selfishness, but just because it is part of who I am. There would be a hole in me without being able to play.

I'm sure that some people do play "for" others, especially those who make a living at playing. I'm not knocking that. But not everyone has the synapses firing in the brain and finger dexterity to be on a playing level with "the best"; and never will.

So for those of us who don't play like those kids or our own private guitar heroes, we can play just because we love to play. We can buy the cheapest guitar or the most expensive guitar, and just play because we love to play. :D

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Anyone read the KT Tunstall interview in Acoustic Guitar - she is very honest about her playing skills, and says she brings the attitude of a street musician to her playing, not aiming for perfection, but to connect with her audience. That gave me some hope.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cj,

When I feel sad or depressed I can play some songs

When I play, it makes me feel sad or depressed.

But seriously, the point for me is not to become an outstanding player but to enjoy it. I wish I could be an outstanding player, and I wish I could be an outstang baseball player, but I realized long ago that a lot of practice didn't make me any better.

So I play mostly to marvel at the great players and great instruments. I'm not a good musician, but I'm a good appreciator.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
These kids have the good fortune to both have some tremendous skill/talent AND parents who are able to provide them with an instrument and lessons...many, many, others do not have the opportunity. Let's hope they grow up to be nice people who share with their own kids.