John Mayall

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve been slowly digitizing the vinyl collection, and I’ve now reached the Ms. Recorded 3 Mayall LPs: Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (1965), Hard Road (1966) and Crusade (1967). I was a big JM fan in my youth, and I loved hearing these 3 fine recordings again. Mayall enjoyed a long career, due to first-rate musicianship, relentless self-promotion and the ability to recruit top players despite high turnover. But to me none of his later work equalled these 3 albums. Standout guitar work by Clapton, Peter Green (Hard Road) and Mick Taylor (Crusade). John McVie on bass for all 3, with Hugh Flint, Aynsley Dunbar & Keef Hartley on drums. Come to think of it, most of these guys had long successful careers!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
I’ve been slowly digitizing the vinyl collection, and I’ve now reached the Ms. Recorded 3 Mayall LPs: Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (1965), Hard Road (1966) and Crusade (1967). I was a big JM fan in my youth, and I loved hearing these 3 fine recordings again. Mayall enjoyed a long career, due to first-rate musicianship, relentless self-promotion and the ability to recruit top players despite high turnover. But to me none of his later work equalled these 3 albums. Standout guitar work by Clapton, Peter Green (Hard Road) and Mick Taylor (Crusade). John McVie on bass for all 3, with Hugh Flint, Aynsley Dunbar & Keef Hartley on drums. Come to think of it, most of these guys had long successful careers!

Ross, you might enjoy this............... Blues Alive, video recorded in 1982. Mayall, Taylor and McVie. Guest appearance by Buddy Guy (on Starfire 4). Junior Wells, Albert King, Etta James and Sippie Wallace also feature.

70th Birthday Concert isn't too bad either.

Of Mayall's "later" guitarists, I rather like Coco Montoya...... another of those weirdo, upside-down lefties ! ( Albert King, Otis Rush )

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Coastie; I'll check those out.

I recently read Clapton's autobiography. The chapters on the early days are the most interesting, including his time with the Bluesbreakers.

cheers
R

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Thanks Coastie; I'll check those out.

I recently read Clapton's autobiography. The chapters on the early days are the most interesting, including his time with the Bluesbreakers.

cheers
R

Hi Ross.

Is that an "authorised" biography ?

I've read enough about EC himself, but there's often good info. about bands / peripheral events in bio's.

Worth getting for anything "new" ?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Ross said:
Thanks Coastie; I'll check those out. I recently read Clapton's autobiography. The chapters on the early days are the most interesting, including his time with the Bluesbreakers.
cheers R
Hi Ross. Is that an "authorised" biography ? I've read enough about EC himself, but there's often good info. about bands / peripheral events in bio's. Worth getting for anything "new" ?
Hi Gary: it's EC's own bio and he doesn't kiss and tell. His reflections on his Creammates takes 1/3 page; respected Jack Bruce as a musician ... thought Ginger Man was a little scary ... and that those two fought alot - that's it! The in-depth stuff covers what everyone already knew: circumstances of birth, early years w/ Mayhall and the Y-Birds, alcohol and drug addiction, working relationship w/ Delaney Bramlett, love of Patti Harrison, death of son, and the establishment of a sobriety clinic for the rich and famous in the Antilles. Edited by lawyers, not a sharp point in it; benefit of the doubt; he was too stoned to remember much more. Not worth the money ... wait for it to come out on DVD....

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gee, Juan, what do you really think? Don't hold back, now! :) :lol:

I borrowed the book from the library, and found that my interest waned after about 1969 (my interest in reading EC's book, that is)

Anyway, continuing on the Mayall thread, I liked Hard Road so much that I've been listening to a steady diet of early Fleetwood Mac lately. Peter Green had a lot to contribute in those days!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ross said:
Gee, Juan, what do you really think? Don't hold back, now! :) :lol:
Yes, I've always had trouble saying what was on my mind ... :wink: CJ

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll pass on that, then !

Peter Green !!

Now yer talkin' !

You might like to look for this........... "Fleetwood Mac, The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions 1967 - 1969."

All the B.H. albums and alternative tracks. Includes the Blues Jam In Chicago albums.

"The Boston Box" is also worth the price of admission, if you can find it.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
Peter Green !!

Now yer talkin' !

You might like to look for this........... "Fleetwood Mac, The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions 1967 - 1969."

All the B.H. albums and alternative tracks. Includes the Blues Jam In Chicago albums.

"The Boston Box" is also worth the price of admission, if you can find it.

Thanks again, Coastie. The BH set is worth having - I'll look for it. All I have are the old vinyl LPs (Then Play On etc).

FM was such a good band in the Green years! I consider the withdrawal of Peter Green from music to be a loss equal to that of Syd Barrett's absence. I bought PG's later solo efforts (White Sky, Kolors) on name alone, but found them disappointing.

cheers
R

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
FM was such a good band in the Green years! I consider the withdrawal of Peter Green from music to be a loss equal to that of Syd Barrett's absence. I bought PG's later solo efforts (White Sky, Kolors) on name alone, but found them disappointing.

cheers
R

Agree totally with everything you say there Ross.

The first post-PG album (Kiln House), is quite a wee sweetheart. Some very nice guitar from Danny Kirwan....... I play it quite often.
PG's solo efforts have some moments, but he evidently (according to Snowy White) had a habit of pushing the other guitarist out front, while he noodled away in the background. The Splinter Group albums are worth a look....... especially "Peter Green Splinter Group", "Hot Foot Powder", and "Destiny Road". But while PG's presence is prominent and most welcome, there still isn't enough of him. And naturally, it ain't like 1969 no more !

This is worth a look.......... "An Evening With Peter Green Splinter Group" Eagle Rock 2564612092

And here's Dave Gilmour in concert; highly recommended........... "David Gilmour in Concert". Capitol 492958 9

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks again - more music to look for (sigh)

Yes, Kiln House is a fine record.

Coastie - I only now looked at your address :oops: I passed through Greymouth in my backpacking days. Walked the Routeburn Track, overindulged in Queenstown, travelled up the west coast and recuperated at the Youth Hostel in Greymouth. I remember a black sand beach??

That was in 1978 :!:

cheers
R

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
30 years ago Ross ! Did you reflect on that ?

Yes, black sand on most of the beaches; way too cold for swimming !

The place is a mecca for backpackers, adventure tourists and motor-cyclists. Not to mention fishermen, skiers and hunters.
Undoubtedly the best part of Newsyland.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, 30 years, but some things are indelible. I spent 2 months in NZ, and I loved every minute of it.

It may have been too cold to swim in Greymouth, but I was able to go to the beach in February. To a Canadian, that's a memorable event :!: