First time I've seen this

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've never seen or heard anyone play an electric harp before--pretty interesting. I never even knew there was such a thing, especially a portable one. The player looks very out of place here, like she just stopped in for a quick jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jtKuQeq0w&feature=related

Of course, in my twisted rock-and-roll-infested mind, I immediately thought of what it might sound like run through a Marshall stack and my Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger. :oops:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This harpist, Catrin Finch, is formerly the Official Harpist to the Prince of Wales. I saw her in recital in New York in 2002. (I will not bore you with how or why.) She didn't play this electric harp in that performance, but there was another memorable experience during her performance. She was playing a full-size conventional harp, and she broke a string! Now for us guitar players this is not uncommon. On the harp, though, it is rare, and when a harp string breaks it's like a cannon shot! :shock: It also means the player can't continue. I was amazed and impressed at how calmly she stopped, adressed the audience, asking their patience and forebearance while she went backstage for a spare string. She came back on stage and deftly replaced it right then and there, tuned it up, and began again. But she didn't fluster, never panicked, and displayed nothing but calm professional skill and good humor. Obviously I was impressed because I've remembered it. She was terrific! She's no longer the Prince's official harpist, but it looks from the video like she's getting some pretty good gigs!

Thanks for posting this, jp!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
jp said:
Of course, in my twisted rock-and-roll-infested mind, I immediately thought of what it might sound like run through a Marshall stack and my Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger. :oops:

Think to yourself, WWND?

Nugent20Weekend20Warriors201.jpg