My New Baby

bluesp90

Reaction score
Just brought home from Spain yesterday. Hand made, cypress wood, Flamenco.
Guitar001.jpg

Guitar002.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I could never dance or play with a rose clenched in my teeth. :oops:

Looks like a beautiful instrument, and since you mentioned its a flamenco guitar...

What's the difference between that and a classical guitar? Pardon my ignorance. :oops:

bluesp90

Reaction score
I'm not really a classical or Flamenco player myself (although now I intend on getting into it). My mother is from spain, her and my father went to visit for a month and she brought this back for me. From what I understand some of the main differences are:
1 Wood - Traditional Flamenco guitars are made from Cypress wood which makes the guitar much lighter than a classical, also gives it a more percussive and sharp tone. The cypress wood is able to be much thinner this allows for the light weight and also takes away from some of the sustain that a classical would have.
2 Flamenco guitars are known for having lower action than classical guitars. This adds to the guitars being more percussive and less sustaining.
As I said before I am still learing about these guitars myself. Hopefully some one else will read this and give us both some more insight.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Guitar. Cypress aye !!

Coincidentally, a couple young fellas from a local tree service stopped by asking directions last week. They had this butt section in the truck & my lady talked them out of it. Pretty, twisty, figured stuff, Boss fella said he's pretty sure it's cypress. .

It's pungently aromatic, fragrant, you can smell it downwind some distance. Smells sort of like cedar but distinctively different, bark as well was cedar like, but different. This one was a fast grower, best I can figure about 25 years old & 3 ft + at the base. Growth rings are 3/4 inch.

Wish I had been there when they cut it, .......... might have suggested quarter sawing it into 4 long pieces. :cry:

221525.jpg

bluesp90

Reaction score
You are 100% right about the smell. I was playing it last night and now the shirt I had on smells like the guitar. It's a great aroma though. It really sucks that I'm having my right hand operated on wednesday and won't be able to play for a week or so. Will you make your own out of that wood?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting your guitar still has a strong aroma.

I'm not surprised, what I have here is moderately powerful. I reckon if you lined a closet with this stuff it'd be a few seasons before you experienced moth problems.

Chunks I have aren't really big enough to be all that useful, majority of it'll likely end up kindling. Takes forever to cure, might end up with something interesting enough for Christmas toys.

105605.jpg
105614.jpg

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Nice Guitar. Cypress aye !!

Coincidentally, a couple young fellas from a local tree service stopped by asking directions last week. They had this butt section in the truck & my lady talked them out of it. Pretty, twisty, figured stuff, Boss fella said he's pretty sure it's cypress. .

It's pungently aromatic, fragrant, you can smell it downwind some distance. Smells sort of like cedar but distinctively different, bark as well was cedar like, but different. This one was a fast grower, best I can figure about 25 years old & 3 ft + at the base. Growth rings are 3/4 inch.

Wish I had been there when they cut it, .......... might have suggested quarter sawing it into 4 long pieces. :cry:

221525.jpg

Sort of a musky, moldy cedar smell? Is that right Jeff? We have cypress all over the place down here. It grows in water mostly. My brothers house is about 50% cypress.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
[
Sort of a musky, moldy cedar smell? Is that right Jeff? We have cypress all over the place down here. It grows in water mostly. My brothers house is about 50% cypress.

West

Must be sumthin in Tejas swamp water causing a mutation. Stuff here smells fresh, quite pleasant.