66-J on eBay

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Is it just me, or is this (ceramic) speaker "too new" for the age of this amp?

My ("parallel baffle") 66-J has an 1959 EIA Code Jensen Alinico Blue...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Bill; do you have a link to the amp / speaker you are referring to?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Sorry about that! ...
S'ok Bill; the speaker code 220102 on the auction amp translates into the second week of 1961. I don't know whether that's during the period when the amp was in production or not. J

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just by comparison, mine has the parallel front sides, has potentiometer date codes that would make it 1963, but it came with a blue jensen Special Design AlNiCo speaker with a date code of 59. Original solder joints, with the speaker wire going through the 1/4" phone jack on the chassis.

I was thinking the small ceramic magnet speaker was out of character for this amp...

I presumed that this style cabinet was from the 50's...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
I was thinking the small ceramic magnet speaker was out of character for this amp ... I presumed that this style cabinet was from the 50's...
Agree; would expect to see alnico in it and further agree about the rear-controls configuration being 1950s; Ampeg and others abandon rear controls in the early 60s.

JazzWest

Reaction score
My '62 Guild 99-J has the original Oxford 12L? or 12M? in it. It's the silver basket large alnico ring model, same exact one as you'd find in a early 60's blonde rough tolex Fender Bandmaster or Bassman cabinet. Also my Oxford has a "Guild - Hoboken, NJ" sticker on the magnet. I think the C12R in the 66-J is era correct but not original.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Seller cleaned the red paint or whatever it was off ... fresh link Guild 66J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Is it just me, or is this (ceramic) speaker "too new" for the age of this amp? My ("parallel baffle") 66-J has an 1959 EIA Code Jensen Alinico Blue...
Hi Bill; This Auction is for the Jensen C12R / ceramic speaker in the pic below. Code is 220738 which seller is reading as 1957. If he's right and there were Jensen ceramics around at that time, not many seemed to have survived. CJ

C12R.jpg

MacAoidh

Reaction score
The 66J seems to have found a home on the third attempt. I missed the close, but a couple of hours earlier, the ninth bid stood at $349. Quite a gem for that price.

JazzyDaddy

Reaction score
I used to own the twin 12' speaker version of this amp. Does any one know the stock number of that amp? Would it be the 66-J also?

Thanks.

Dave