Another remarkable tweed in the house

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I've been real curious about low power tweed twins for a while. So Friday had the chance to trade a consigned guitar (Gretsch 6121 W) for the Fender RI '57 tweed twin. If you have not had the pleasure folks, do yourselves a favor. Fender got this one right.

Never thought I'd find a tweed amp to equal the wamth and clarity of my Clark Tyger, but the twin does. Plugged in through an outboard reverb, it has a similar tonal quality, but deeper. Outstanding cleans. The weber designed alnico speakers are spectacular. Perfect. Loads of headroom and volume.

My curiosity about other amps will never die, but I might be done with this one. It has such a beautiful sound.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I heard that they had a really good vibe to them. I would probably go with a tweed Deluxe, as I don't play out and the Twin would just be too loud for inside..
The next amp though is going to be a scratch-built Maggie clone. I'm weeding out the models I don't want and looking at the models I do.
Most likely going to be a Troubadour with reverb shoehorned into the circuit.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
... had the chance to trade a consigned guitar (Gretsch 6121 W) for the Fender RI '57 tweed twin ... The weber designed alnico speakers are spectacular.
Congratulations Michael; considering how much you like the Clark, strong praise indeed! Except for vintage Jensen, I wouldn't buy any speaker other than Weber alnicos. J