I Wanna New PA System

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Whats the shakedown on the Berringer/Kustom systems? Anyone have one? OK or more Pacific Rim garbage?

Mind You, not a big system, but the 180watt/100RMS system with 12" woofers/6x12" horns.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
After looking around, thinking about portability, *(the biggie here)* , I decided to go with a Fender Passport system. I would have loved to get the PD250 system, but at 55 lbs, too heavy for lugging across a mile of airport.

I went with the PD 150 system, which is 75 watts per channel (stereo), and this should handle my needs. BTW; it's only 28 lbs, and carries like a suitcase.

pd150.jpg

Kap'n

Reaction score
I's not super portable, but what I'm using now is a:

Mackie DFX-6 mini-mixer and a 3 space rolling rack with the singer's wireless and a QSC power amp.

For speakers, I'm using two Turbosound 12" monitors, one as a main.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Pretty cool Dave and a nice gesture towards your back! cj

Punkybub

Reaction score
I did a bit of research and came up with my current PA:

2 - EV SX300 (12" woofer, 1" horn, 300w handling pwr each)
QSC PLX 1802 power amp (~300w/ch 8ohms)
Behringer cheapo board
Rane stereo EQ.

I can't say enough about the SX300s - 35lbs ea., tough cabinets, small, and they honestly sound better than any speakers I've heard - Mackie, Community Sound, etc. I can put the whole PA in my trunk and still have room left over for other stuff. Not cheap ($500-$700/pair used), but honestly worth it if you care about your sound and can afford 'em! :)

The QSC power amp is also incredible - I was running an old EV Entertainer head and it was pretty good but the QSC 1802 is perfectly suited to the EV speakers power-wise, and it has a built in crossover in case you want to power a sub, plus @ 4ohms you can power the mains w/one side and monitors w/the other. And the clarity of the highs through the EVs is really something... 8)

I only needed the EQ to notch out a little around 500Hz for my guitar - other than that it's flat. The board was $129 and works fine. :shock:

Get the best speakers you can afford to start with. All equipment will sound better through good speakers! :mrgreen: