Four Big Gibson Stereo/Reverb Amps On eBay Parade

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This Gibson amp model, and only this model, was blessed by Aspen Pittman in the several editions of his Tube Book. Mr. Pittman, who owns Groove Tubes and according to Tube Book, has a extensive collection of very fine vintage amps but the Gibson GA79RVT was the only Gibson amp to rate an 'Honorable Mention'. These are called stereo but they are more accurately 'dual mono'; there is no separate circuitry to distinguish Left from Right in the more typical meaning of the word 'stereo'. They all have on-board reverb and tremolo. Check your bank balance before bidding; all of these will likely go for $1,200 to $1,800.

Gibson Maestro GA78RVT; GA78 Auction Link a very rare 'Maestro' model:

ga78.jpg

Another - GA79RVT (#1) Auction Link

ga791.jpg

And another - GA79RVT (#2) Auction Link

ga792.jpg

Added November 4, 2007: Another GA79RVT GA79RVT (#3) Auction Link

ga793.jpg

These are rare amps; not many sold and fewer still around and very unusual to see three on eBay at the same time. cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: Three Big Gibson Stereo/Reverb Amps On eBay Parade

I've been watching those as well capn. Almost pulled the trigger on one a couple years back that went for about $1300. Seems like more people have been reading Aspen Pittman's Top Ten list. They do sound incredible.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

jp said:
I've been watching those as well capn. Almost pulled the trigger on one a couple years back that went for about $1300. Seems like more people have been reading Aspen Pittman's Top Ten list. They do sound incredible.
Hi JP; if I was looking for a 'statement' amp from the '60s, I'd look hard at one of these; they diminish the GA16/18/19/20s to 'Lil Buddy' / recording amps in a hurry. cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total

Yikes! That tweed may be an all-time record eBay price--up to $2225.00. Interesting to see if it busts the $2500 mark today.

Speaking of little Gibson buddies, I may have a chance to pick up a little GA17-RVT Scout. Guy I bought some computer gear off of had one sitting around--said it was missing tubes, and didn't want to mess with it. May be another cool little amp project to sit around with my others. :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

jp said:
Yikes! That tweed may be an all-time record eBay price--up to $2225.00. Interesting to see if it busts the $2500 mark today. Speaking of little Gibson buddies, I may have a chance to pick up a little GA17-RVT Scout. Guy I bought some computer gear off of had one sitting around--said it was missing tubes, and didn't want to mess with it. May be another cool little amp project to sit around with my others. :mrgreen:
Hi JP; it's gonna be close to $2,500; when the 1st two sell, the losers will turn around and driver up the other two. 10-4 on projects except to say the GA17 could be one of those low effort / high yield deals .............. maybe .... :mrgreen:

6EU7 reverb drive/recover, 10" speaker, 2X6AQ5s. My only experience w/ 6AQ5s was a foul-ball; didn't let equivalent 6005s break in and changed speaker at same time .... :oops: not the best sounding but not necessarily the 6005s' problem. If you're going to not work on something, I'd not work on the GA19 ..... :lol:

Regards, cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total

capnjuan said:
If you're going to not work on something, I'd not work on the GA19 ..... :lol:
:D :D :D