Kiwis Can Laugh At Themselves.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
After all, we've suffered so many "sheep-shagger" jibes from the bloody uncouth Oz-tralians !!

image001.jpg

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The last picture I saw of the Coastman, he did sort of have a sheepish grin! Sounds like Upshur County folks and Kiwis would get along right well.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
She looks great in white Gary, might be spending a little too much time in the sun though. Beautiful woman!

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
he told the waitress he wanted a sheepherder's breakfast "a cup of coffee and ewe, darlin" :D

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
coastie99 said:
After all, we've suffered so many "sheep-shagger" jibes from the bloody uncouth Oz-tralians !!

[IMG:593:398]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/coastie99/image001.jpg[/img]

Coastie

Is that really NZ - looks like an old fashioned UK telephone kiosk (US translation, phone booth) with mailbox alongside. Maily got glas ones nowadays in England (still generally used as urinals though). I'd have put it in some 3rd world country like Wales (just testing to see if Paganskins reads this page) :twisted:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kap'n said:
Do you folks still have phone booths? They've all but disappeared in the US.

Phone "books" in public phone booths are an endangered species in the Great Northwest. You can drive for miles stopping at the odd remaining phone booths attempting to locate someone or something using a phone book.

Nothing left of the phone books but a short piece of chain.

Then of course there's the Phone booth in Tonasket, Washington, can't use the pay phone there because the coin box slot is always choked up, over full of coins from immigrant workers calling home.
[img:215:144]http://www.washingtonapplecountry.com/images/harv20.jpg[/img]
[img:497:344]http://www.okanogancountry.com/images/new/wine_3.jpg[/img]

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kap'n said:
Do you folks still have phone booths? They've all but disappeared in the US.

A dying breed - mainly used for bladder relief (by the smell) - not used much for communication purposes due to the inexerable rise of the mobile (US translation = cellphone). Having said that when I was going round New England last autumn (US translation = fall) I was glad to find some phone booths as TMobile wasn't covering vast swathes of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Just meant I had to stock up on quarters (see comments elsewhere about immigrant workers - can also apply to tourists thouh I'd guess Washington has good network coverage, I can't speak from experience as I haven't been there since 1978 and cellphones hadn't been invented!)

The old red thing in the Coastie's picture are nearly extinct except for ye olde thatched cottage villages (where US tourists can point and say "Gee, aint that quaint Hymer") or in backward parts of the country (Wales already mentioned). All glass boots mainly, some with internet access too.

Talking of immigrant workers, we have an interesting situation in some parts where 'pay to use' public toilets (US = restrooms) have been occupied by whole families as a cheap accommodation. Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'squatting'

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff

Sorry - wrong Washington. You're in the State (I have distan't cousins there but I've not yet visited Washington state). I was referring to Washing DC which I visited in 1978. Kinda interesting as our Dodge minibus had a window shot out with a .22 as we were heading for the 4th July fireworks, but no-one hit. Never did get to see them!