rodrigo y gabriela

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Saw them on Letterman a while ago and was duly impressed. Picked up their eponymous cd at Best Buy yesterday for under $8. Package includes (among other things) a DVD that showcases three of their songs in a concert setting. Included is their version of "Stairway to Heaven". Wow! These two have an amazing sound, unique style, and an impressive stage presence. They earn all of the rock star adulation but with acoustic instruments. Definitely recommend them to anyone who loves guitar.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's an exciting development in the percussive possibilities in classical/flamenco. She seems to approach it as if it's a smaller instrument, like one of those odd South American jobs.

Kap'n

Reaction score
Yep. I've got the disk, but haven't listed to it yet. Did watch them on Leno last weekend, but the sound sucked compared to the Letterman video on Youtube.

I'm looking forward to some jawdropping stuff when I spin that disk.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
There are three live performances on the DVD as well as a tutorial where they explain what it is they're doing with their hands. I found that especially helpful in getting a sense of what Gabriela is doing, since her hand is a blur at times. Interestingly enough they say their style is not flamenco which was my first guess.

Kap'n
A word of caution on the DVD: the sound level is very loud leading up to the menu. Keep you sound down low until you've made your selection. Save your ears and your speakers.

Gruhn Loon

Kap'n

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be checking it out this weekend. Got a road trip this weekend, so I'll be firing up the CD, too. I've just been snowed in with good music since Xmas.