Electric guitar help

SugarMountain

Reaction score
So i need to buy myself an electric guitar, i have been playing a squier tele up until now as i play more acoustic, it didnt make sense to have an expensive electric

I've been getting more into my electric playing and playing with friends and stuff, as well as my squier as served me it goes out of tune alot and the tone is a little lifeless

im using a little vox amp and the sound im going for..think Neil Young and Crazy Horse meets the beatles white album

i have 460 english pounds, and about another 200 next pay day and i dont wanna spend alot more then that

I like tele's they are comfy and built solid, but perhaps not beefy enough

I like SGs alot, but all the new ones ive played have been really badly built

and i cant afford a Les Paul...what shall i do???

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I say get a Bluesbird!!!

[IMG:600:800]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/MrP_at_Large/P7010042.jpg[/img]

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total

SugarMountain

Reaction score
The tele custom still has a single coil at the bridge though
the deluxe may be a better idea, i like the thinlines but the look delicate
i want a nice solid rock hard guitar that i cant break

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
SugarMountain said:
The tele custom still has a single coil at the bridge though
the deluxe may be a better idea, i like the thinlines but the look delicate
i want a nice solid rock hard guitar that i cant break

Try one
[IMG:426:568]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/mtsweeney/Guitars/TeleDeluxe.jpg[/img]

You might like it

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
I say get a Bluesbird!!!

[IMG:600:800]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/MrP_at_Large/P7010042.jpg[/img]

That's next on my wishlist!

SugarMountain

Reaction score
My squier is a Tele Deluxe copy, so i kinda feel like a change
but perhaps if thats the only thing that works out ill have to stick with what i know

those deluxe's look awesome in sunburst, im guessing thats a Reissue??

maybe you can part with one of your LPs fungus??, i mean who needs 3 and i suppose you dont have the room for them, so ya know..i could do you a favour and look after one

:lol:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
SugarMountain said:
maybe you can part with one of your LPs fungus??, i mean who needs 3 and i suppose you dont have the room for them, so ya know..i could do you a favour and look after one

Before you get a Les Paul, you need to play a Bluesbird on a strap compared to the LP. The chambered body on the Bluesbird makes it about 30% Lighter than a Les Paul and gives it a different sustain.

I am a new to electrics since my Bluesbird is my first electric, and I have a lot to learn. However, some of the other Bluesbird owners will back that up I think.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yeah, LP's weighing in around 9 lbs takes a toll on your back & shoulder if it's a gigging guitar.

There is currently a DeArmond M75T with DeArmond 2k pickups on ebay for a $350 US BIN. However it's in California. Go there before looking at the higher priced Gibson & Epiphone models.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
california91207 said:
Mr. P ~ said:
I say get a Bluesbird!!!

That's next on my wishlist!

This was the first one I bid on, and a tobacco sun burst would look good in your stable!!

[IMG:375:500]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/MrP_at_Large/02_Bluesbird.jpg[/img]

SugarMountain

Reaction score
London to California is a big trip for a guitar

yeh im interested in the M-75s and Bluesbirds and what not, I need to play one first though, which may be easier said then done over here.

In the store where i picked up my 25, they had 2 Guild electrics that looked kinda like SGs, really nice..id spent all day playing there acoustics though and wasnt in the mood for them.

went back the other week, both gone..same for the 64' Duo Sonic i had my eye on

ave del noche

Reaction score
Those were likely S-100's, and I can't recommend them enough. Extremely versatile guitars. Good luck, and enjoy your search!

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
SugarMountain said:
My squier is a Tele Deluxe copy, so i kinda feel like a change but perhaps if thats the only thing that works out ill have to stick with what i know

those deluxe's look awesome in sunburst, im guessing thats a Reissue??

Yep, it's a reissue. The Deluxe and Thinline reissues are both great guitars and very reasonable. If you can play any over there before buying I'd suggest you do that because the neck profiles and fret styles vary quite a bit.

SugarMountain said:

Though I have 3 Les Pauls, I should clarify that none are of the high end sort. I have two LP Specials (one with humbuckers another with dual P90's) and a single P90 equipped LP Junior. I'm a huge fan of P90's... even have one installed in the neck position in one of my Teles.

SugarMountain

Reaction score
im currently torn between a Gibson SG Special and a Tele Custom, after playing one today i relised i quite like the cutting tone of the custom, But the SG is just a monster, thick sustain just awesome

so i shall go next week up to town for a last mooch around the stores in Denmark street and if nothing tickles my fancy ill go with one of the above brand new

im leaning towards the SG, should i be worried about set necks??
i kinda like how i cant break a fender

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
SugarMountain said:
im leaning towards the SG, should i be worried about set necks?? i kinda like how i cant break a fender

You did the right thing by getting out and playing a couple. It's always best to play the one you're going to buy, if possible.

I really dig SG's... especially the SG Classic with P90's. The biggest problem I've noticed with Gibson necks is the headstock. They crack much easier than Fenders. Luckily, I've never had any problems, but I try to be more careful with them than I am with the Teles.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

SugarMountain

Reaction score
whatever i get, ill try and find one a couple years old or something...theres something i dont like about straight from the factory guitars with the film still on them lol

i love the P90 SGs too, but there quite pricey over here
Id love a SG Junior with the single dog eared P90 and maestro trem
awesome, but expensive