What have we learned here at LTG this year?

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I was following a thread that started talking about how much they've learned since hanging out here - So, might be a good time of year to ask:

"What have we learned about guitars on LTG this year."

Some learned there are more than just acoustic Guilds.
Some learned how to manipulate eBay.
Some figured out how to make some profit buying and selling guitars.
Some learned how to check the neck angle.
Some found another guy who owned the same model with the same problems.
Some wept at getting a copy of Hans' book.
Some discovered the joy of actually playing in front of people.

I, for one, learned a couple of sources for really cheap beaters I can experiment on! Kinda like a kid dissecting frogs. But I've learned a lot more about how guitars work (acoustic and electric) and that has been very helpful and satisfying. It will be more satisfying if any of those projects get completed, though! :oops:
I've made a bunch of new friends with similar interests but all kinds of backgrounds. And I've learned that all this can be learned without flames flying. It has been ultra-cool!

Thanks to Don and everyone who logs in here.

I know I haven't listed them all, so, what have you learned?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Great post Mark.

Hmmm, I 've learned a tremendous amount in very little time.

I've learned that in a matter of a few weeks I can spend quite a bit of money on myself and not feel bad at all.

I've leanrned that a Westerly made Guild really does have a sound all of it's own.

I've learned that eBay can become somewhat addictive.

I've learned, as well, that there can be a really great forum to just hang out in, say what you want, ask what you want, not be taken too seriously and not be laughed off of the board.

I've learned that music is a large part of many people's lives, for different reasons and to different degrees.

I've learned that even grumpy geezers that don't think there is any place on a guitar forum for a recipe section, will contribut recipes. :D

I've learned that there are many older folks, living with assistance, that get very much joy out something as simple as someone taking the time to play some simple songs on a guitar for them.

Can't wait for 2007.

Graham

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Like Mark, I've learned that there are more than acoustic Guilds.

I learned that many opinions contribute to an eductation.

And I learned that a clubhouse doens't have to have walls, just a URL.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wow, great thread Mark...........let's see, I've learned that Coastie and Darryl are perverts!

No, I love 'em both and they know it.

Seriously, you touched on the most important thing to me, aside from the friendships made here, I suppose the most important thing I've taken from here is how an acoustic really works. What woods give what tones, how bracing effects sound, what makes different finishes different and how they effect wood, how body styles effect sound, the pros and cons of various string makes and gauges. It all just fascinates me, and I feel like we've just scratched the surface, no pun intended.

I gathered the courage to play publicly for the first time in almost 3 decades, for that I thank Dred, P and Mark. I'd have never done it without your support, it really is becoming second nature, and I'm grateful to the 3 of you. You guys have also taught me that regardless of how meager my talent is, there are really people out there that appreciate it.

I spend as much time here as I do anywhere but work, and even check in from there occasionally. This would be a good time to ask Don what brought on the idea of a Guild forum and what happened to the old one, of which I was unaware? Don?

Thank you Don,
West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have learned that there are a lot more people in this world that think like me than I thought.

I have learned that people that you have never met can cheer you on to perform in public.

I have learned that a Borders Book Store crowd doesn't care if you miss a chord or two. :roll:

I have learned that giving of yourself is more rewarding than any gift you recieve.

I learned there are more places to play music than I thought. :wink:

Thanks to all of you!!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West,

Coastie is the perv, not me. Unlike him, I'd never put nylons on my sheep.

Which reminds me. How does your armadillo look blindfolded?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Very difficult to get a hold of......ever tried to catch one? :wink: Slick and quick with powerful claws, not sharp though thank goodness! :D

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West,
When I lived in Greenville I was told one of the dangers with armadillos is that if you came up on them at night on a country road and startled one that he would spring straight up in the air. They claimed this was because of the curved claws. The danger was broken grilles and radiators on your cars!

I always assumed they were pulling the Mississippi boy's leg.

What do you say...fact or fiction?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: They do sometimes jump straight up in the air. We had one digging in the flower bed one night a couple of months ago. Had that sucker caught between my house and the house next door with my chainlink fence behind him. Either I'm old or they've gotten faster, but he slipped right through the flower bed past my 2 sons and me.

I've never heard of one piercing a radiator or a grill, I think someone was pulling your leg P. When I was a kid, we'd catch 'em and race 'em.

Don't you need to get to bed young man??????

West :D

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
This seems like a much better place to post about my first Guild, which I just got a few months ago largely based on the enthusiasm of the members here. I just re-strung that guitar (a '92 D-25) earlier today, and it's sounding like a slice of heaven right now in spite of myself.

I've played a bunch of used Guilds during the past 6- 9 months, but this place is where I've learned so much about the model options, variations of each and generally the greatness of the Westerly era. For that, I'll always be grateful to all of you.

I'd especially like to thank all the fine LTG folks for spilling the beans about the best kept rosewood secret I've ever come across.... the DV52.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Fungus,

You've got a couple of gems there in the D25 and DV52. As you get a chance, compare them with the Martins and Taylors of the world, and let us know what you think.

West

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
West R Lee said:
Fungus,

You've got a couple of gems there in the D25 and DV52. As you get a chance, compare them with the Martins and Taylors of the world, and let us know what you think.

West

Will do sometime fairly soon. My Martin D-16GT needs a bit of time still to really open up since it's less than a year old, but the 000-15 sounds pretty sweet now... and it's vastly improved over when I bought it new about 3.5 years ago.

I can also compare the DV52 to my buddy's Taylor 710ce... my initial thoughts after playing them a bit side by side for a couple nights last month was that the DV52 felt a notch or two above the Taylor. Then again, after having the DV52 in my hands there didn't seem to be much point in messing around with the Taylor.... as beautiful of a guitar as it is.

Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Old Fungus,

What kind of strings did you put on it?

Martin SP Phosphor Bronze. Love how these sound, but might try the SP+ Extended Life since the standard phosphor bronze's don't last forever.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
If you ran an armoured-dildo on an industrial-strength battery, it sure-as-hell would jump !!

If you used generic batteries you bought online, would it result in E-reptile dysfunction? :?: