Clapton's Guitar

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Recently finished a book by Allen St. John entitled "Clapton's Guitar- Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument". I really enjoyed the book and found Wayne and his buddies to be extremely quirky, endearing, and entertaining. Alot of insightful information about the guitar making process. No references to Guild guitars but some info about George Gruhn and Kim Walker. And the guitar that is built for him has more than a passing resemblence to the GF-60 in my view (although his has amazing Brazilian rosewood back and sides). Anyone else read it?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
He did at one time play a GF60 I believe. I've got a framed picture of him holding it.

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
He played a GF-60R, endorsed Guild for a short time because of the guitar.

ERIC CLAPTON’S GUILD FLATTOP GUITARS SOLD AT AUCTION
Three of Clapton’s guitars (two GF-60s and one F-46) were sold at auction. This information is from the auction notes: there are several inconsistencies – they call the guitar a G-46, there was never such a model, it was actually the F-46; they say that the F-46 sold for $16,000 was a 1989, but by that time it had been renamed GF-60, and they say it was sunburst yet the NT means “natural top”; and they show a “G-60” which never existed, was actually the GF-60R. Ah well. I suppose the guitars got all their value from the fact that old Slowhand himself had actually played them, not from their model numbers.

Guild G46/GF 60R Endorsed 1987-88 (see Guitar Player August 1988, p.89); donated to Prince's Trust; model number changed by Gruhn
Guild GF46 Replacement from Guild for guitar donated to Prince's Trust
59 1987 Guild G-60NT (natural) on the 25 Years tour programme Est. $ 2 - 3,000 Sold $ 20,000
60 1989 Guild F-46NT (sunburst) Est. $ 3 - 5,000 Sold $ 16,000
65 1988 Guild GF-60NT (natural) Est. $2 - 3,000 Sold $ 18,000

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Very Good John. You just happened to have an August 1988 Copy of Guitar Player laying around? :lol: :wink:

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
No West - but I do have a couple of Guild ads from the time that feature Clapton. They coe up on eBay fairly often.

I put that information together a couple of years ago (the auction was in 2004) as part of the background for another discussion about the Gruhn years at Guild. Jerre Haskew, who was President at the time, was inordinately proud of the fact that Clapton played and endorsed one of what he thought to be "his" guitars. Among other things, Jerre told me the company's intention at the time was simply to make the finest production guitars in America. He emailed me out of the blue when I got my GF-60R (eBay of course), subject line: "Congratulations on landing the big fish". It was my fist intimation that there was anything particular about that period at Guild.

It's just a damn shame that things didn't work out - management that really cared, a head of design in Gruhn and a builder like Walker - should have been a great story. But cash is king, isn't it?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So true John. You know we've kicked that around here until I'm blue in the face.

One thing that I read fairly recently was that the Westerly plant was closed partially because of the very damp climate there and problems that presented in manufacture. I've never visited your and Jeff's area, but from what you guys have been saying, and from a friend of mine who lived outside Seattle, it's pretty damned damp up there too. So the climate in Westerly theory doesn't pan out.

West

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
John- Allen St. John describes a trip to Nashville that he took specifically to meet George Gruhn. Apparently Gruhn was and is fascinated with, not only guitars, but reptiles. Gruhn is described as "pure intellect" and his knowledge of guitars is encyclopedic. Wayne Henderson (the focus of the book) and Gruhn met at a music festival and their common interests became immediately apparent. Henderson was able to learn a great deal about guitar construction when he spent several months in the 70's working on the pre-war Maritins that Gruhn had in his shop for repairs. St. John also recounts that Gruhn wanted to do for guitars what Hill and Sons of London did for violins which was "..treat the instruments with respect."

The author also has high praise for Kim Walker. He makes mention of the fact that Walker (like Henderson) had the opportunity to learn priceless lessons about guitar making while he worked at Gruhn Guitars. He also includes Walker in a small group of the what he believes to be the best luthiers working today. That group includes Wayne Henderson, T.J. Thompson, John Greven, and Lynn Dudenbostel. Prior the reading the book I hadn't heard of these folks, with the exception of Walker, who if I recall from some of your previous posts was involved along with Gruhn in the design of several Guilds including the GF-60.

Incidentally, I've played a beautiful Walker guitar and it certainly had the shape and look of the GF-60, although the prices don't quite compare. I believe the Walker I played was purchased for $25,000.

It's a fun book I'd bet most of the posters to ltg would really enjoy it.

Gruhn Loon

Kap'n

Reaction score
Re: Westerly and climate. Kim Walker's shop is in either Stonington, or North Stonington, CT, which is the other side of the state line from Westerly, RI.

OTOH, his shop might be a bit better climate controlled than the old furniture factory.