Rockabilly quality questions??

gtraddict

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Rockabilly, fell in love with the sound and feel of the guitar. The problems I am having with the guitar is the last few finishing problems not done to the guitar. I have a couple of glue drips, the f- holes are rough and look two colors. The stamp on the back is even pressed too hard it made a box [serial#]. I have other Bluesbirds made in Nashville, I was wondering did any body elses Rockabilly turn out this way.

Century Bob

Reaction score
first off let me say that I love my Rockabilly. It has a very unique voice and is just all around cool in black. It is a bit of a diamond in the rough however. It was one of the last Corona units built. The neck is not totally smooth. You can feel slight squared off areas where it was not shaped and sanded nicely. The neck set is very high. My bridge is set all the way up although the bigsby bridges have a short base. This guitar was a warranty replacement for my first on that had a twisted neck.
I imagine the Rhode Island guitars are better because my Starfire was built there and it was flawless. Even with its issues it is a great guitar and will never be sold.

Century Bob

Reaction score
Ok Walter, let me change that. I will only sell it to you....But.... your band has to come here and do a private party at my house. Food and BEER will be provided. Oyeah one more thing, I get to play backup.

Reaction score
I bought one of the last ones from Warpdrive music (black) and she is put together with out any flaws that I can see. It's a great guitar.

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Well, the neck on mine is crooked! Other than that...way to go Fender!
It is a great playing and sounding guitar, but it should have never left the factory.

gtraddict

Reaction score
Century Bob my Starfire was built in Corora and it was built with nothing wrong with it, except the top could be a bit more flamed for my taste. I have enough Guilds from 3 plants to see that quality is consistent at least in the Bluesbirds and with my Starfire. It was just that the Rockabilly was something that looked to be built by another American G branded guitar company with quality problems in my opinion.

Century Bob

Reaction score
I dont want to give the wrong impression. The rockabilly is still a great guitar and is extremely well built. It just has some detail issues that alittle extra build time would have perfected. Its just a shame they dont still build them. I have done some mods on mine. I changed the post to improve rolloff. I also had a sound post installed. That all but eliminated feedback and tightened up the sound without really changing its tone.

KuuKOO

Reaction score
I also have a black one from Warpdrive. The nut wasn't cut very well on mine and I'm still not quite sold on the guitar after a couple setups. Although the neck's finish is perfect, it's a bit thin for my hands. I also find the DeArmonds a tad wimpy, especially compared to my buddy's ES-295.

I sold my '03 Gretsch 120th Annie when I bought it, which had a wider neck, but crappy electronics and was kind of swampy sounding.

I've thought about changing the stock pups to Seymour Duncans and replacing the aluminum bridge to get a better, woodier sound. Or actually selling it (gasp). Even still, it's a very nice guitar.

KK

rocket88

Reaction score
I have a black corona made x-160. It's a wonderful guitar. I have changed the pickups to Seymore Duncan "dynasonics". In my opinion it became much better with them than with the stock pickups (which didn't sound bad but mabe a little too bright for me).

/Johnny

axiology

Reaction score
rocket88 said:
I have changed the pickups to Seymore Duncan "dynasonics". In my opinion it became much better with them than with the stock pickups (which didn't sound bad but mabe a little too bright for me).

/Johnny

Really! I don't find mine too bright sounding. I thought I knew "bright" being a Tele owner. That's one thing that suprised me when I got mine that it wasn't that. A great guitar whatever. :)
Andrew
http://www.axiology.ca