Seattle humidity 96%

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just checked the NOAAH site for the weather
http://www.noaa.gov/

27 degress outside & 96% humidity. Grampa's old barometer on the wall says inside humidity is about 78%. Not too worried about my gits drying out overly much.

I'm using the most modern high tech method to regulate humidity, namely a woodstove & a teapot.

Phoenix humidity was about 39% & a nippy 57 degrees at 4:50 AM.

Olympia, Olympia Airport
Last Update on 30 Oct 4:00 PST
Fog
27°F
(-3°C) Humidity: 93 %
Wind Speed: SE 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.26 in (N/A mb)
Dewpoint: 25°F (-4°C)
Wind Chill: 24°F (-4°C)
Visibility: 2.00 Miles

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
We got a cold snap. And a wet snap. There were these big things in the sky looked like cotton balls.

Jeff, I think the idea on geetars is to keep the humidity fairly constant. You might need a dehumidifier and a humidifier. Here in Phoenix, I just need a humidifier. I hear that 40% humidity is good, and 30% minimum. I forget what the max is, but it ain't no problem here in Sand City.

Bing k

Reaction score
Well it was 5 below zero here last night so our humidifiers will be working over time to to keep up with the heating system in order to maintain the 40-45% we like to keep the store at.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Wait a minute....5 below zero in October? And someone suggested Bing's town as a location for our new electric factory? :shock:

I don't mind a little snow & seasonal changes, (no choice in Michigan) but my preference would be someplace I don't regularly have to scrape my car windows. Average snowfall of less than 2 feet per year, & average temps rarely dipping below 30. Sounds a lot like the pacific northwest, or somewhere around TN, or the Carolinas to me! 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Move to Texas Don, we get a light dusting of snow around here about every 3 years. :) They do get some snow from Dallas west and north.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
my preference would be someplace I don't regularly have to scrape my car windows. Average snowfall of less than 2 feet per year, & average temps rarely dipping below 30. Sounds a lot like the pacific northwest

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry I pushed the wrong button now I can't figure out how to delete a post.

Anyway Don, it sounds like you may not be looking forward to the long Michigan winter. Myoldest son lives in Anchorage where dealing with the cold is a major industry. Scraping car windows is a minor inconvenience up there, the cottage industry specializing in thawing frozen septic systems & drain fields is particularly interesting.

You may not have to scrape your car windows every morning here in the Pac NW. but that luxury is moderated by the parking lots masquerading as a highway system out here. Commute speeds are regularly less that 25 mph on the freeways, since retiring I now watch the weather & traffic reports every morning as I decide which guitar to play .

Ain't no picturesque rural spot for a Guild Factory out here, they have all been filled up with Fred Meyer stores & Walmart Parking lots.

Local politico's are too busy talking about each other's sexual pecadillo's (sp) ,separating the trash for recycling & monitoring their campaign contributions to do anything meaningful about it.

Heck man, what's a little cold weather & ice?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Bing k said:
Actually 5 below is not the norm for October here. We have cold weather here but usually not for long at a time. We catch chinooks quite often that warm things up in a hurry.

Ha! I was brought up in the Northwest Territories, Labrador and northern Quebec, where there's about 10 months of winter and 2 months of poor sledding, and I spent a few years working from the back of a saddle horse where it's just plain extremely chilly out in the open in the middle of winter.

But the coldest I've ever been was in my Volkswagen pickup truck, driving from Livingston Montana back up to Canada, right through Bing's country, in February of 1974 or 5. My heater, no good at the best of times, gave up the ghost just north of Livingston, and for the rest of the way to the border it was 40 below outside and 40 below inside. Luckily, beacuse I had hair at the time, the kindly border guards gave me a break by searching every inch of my truck and my gatherings, inside a heated warehouse at Canada Customs. Otherwise my last living memory of Bing's great Big Sky state would have been watching the hoar-frost grow on my eyelashes until they froze together and I drove off the road and killed myself.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
Luckily, beacuse I had hair at the time, the kindly border guards gave me a break by searching every inch of my truck and my gatherings, inside a heated warehouse at Canada Customs. Otherwise my last living memory of Bing's great Big Sky state would have been watching the hoar-frost grow on my eyelashes until they froze together and I drove off the road and killed myself.

Luxury!

We used to dream of hoar-frost!

G

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
96% humidity :shock: Is there a such thing as a guitar dryer? Jeff, you need that waterproof Guild that was posted here several months ago :lol:

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
Bing's probably gone to bed by now (but, oh yes, the wind doth blow in Livingston).

Here's one definition of the Chinook wind:

Chinook: Warm, dry air mass that descends the eastern slopes of the U.S. and Canadian Rocky Mts. after having lost moisture by condensation over the western slopes. Chinooks occur mainly in winter. They sometimes replace the cold continental air mass over the western plains, causing rapid melting of snow and temperature increases as great as 40°F (22°C) within a few hours. Similar winds occurring in the Alps and elsewhere are known as foehn winds. The term chinook was originally applied by Oregon settlers to a moist Pacific wind blowing from the direction of a Chinook camp.

This is a very dry description for a very wonderful experience. From the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta and Montana on a cold winter's day, one sometimes sees in the western sky the "Chinook Arch", a band of cloud just hanging over the mountains with clear sky to the west. Then, magically, a fountain of warm air floods down from the mountains, through the foothills and over the plains. The temperature shoots up (I think the record is something like a 50 degree difference in one day), the snow melts but the wind is so dry it evaporates most of the water and the snowbanks just disappear. It's quite incredible the first few times one experiences it.

Also, the name "Chinook" is interesting - I think it arises from the fact that the Chinook wind by definition comes from the west, and the common trading language among whites and Indians on the western side of the Northern Rockies was a jargon called "Chinook" after a small Indian nation in northern Washington state. The same name is applied to one of the most prized Pacific salmon - the red spring salmon is also called "Tyee" (itself a Chinook word meaning something like "important"), "King", or "Chinook".

As Mr. P~ would say, TMI. Too much information. Just can't help myself sometimes. Think I'll go pick up a guitar.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry John,

I was busy copying & pasting while you were composing your eloquent description Didn't see your post till I hit submit, I was humbled by your post & meant no disrespect. Some days it's just too much fun.

I can understand how a cowboy on horseback might wax eloquent about the Chinook winds. I remember winter mornings as a boy when I welcomed the warmth of a Jersey herd, range cattle probably are not quite as comfy.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you.

I'm now comprehensively edumicated about Chinooks.

I did have more than a sneaking suspicion that a Chinook is a species of Salmon, but I was damned if I could comprehend why a helicopter would be named after a fish !!