Willie Nelson Busted

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know, I've never heard anything that Willie has done that made me want to hear more of his output.

Clearly, I'm out of the mainstream here - I feel the same way about Bruce Springsteen, U2, Tom Petty and the current-day Rolling Stones.

I can visualise that bust in my mind's eye, and it looks hilarious !

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've never heard anything that Willie has done that made me want to hear more of his output.

Coastie,

Apparenty the Louisiana State Patrol has much the same musical tastes.

I concur on Springsteen & the Stones all the rest, and the Bad Boy Cowboy & Barbie Doll country acts don't do much for me either.

Exceptin Willie. He doesn't wear cowboy hats MUCH except for his movie acting roles. :roll: .

I'm surprised a red blooded Blue's man like yourself doesn't have a greater appreciation for Willie Nelson.

For whatever it's worth My opinion is; he's the real deal.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No you're not Coastie,

Willie's a good old Texas boy, I love country music and never liked his. His singing was always a little too nasal for me, and his picking..... reduntant!

There are some songs that Willie collaborated with others on that I like, but I honestly can't think of 1 pure Willie song that I really like, and believe me, he's an icon here.

West

Squawk

Reaction score
I vote with West & Coastie.

Who's older? Willie or Dylan?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am devastated, first Cher & now Willie is dissed by the esteemed membership. Criminy, the poor old guy, writing all those songs that have become standards & getting no respect.

I'm gonna go help Red finish a bottle of Bordedaux & watch Pink Floyd on PBS at 10:00.

Right after I post Pictures of the new Git.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Willie and Cher. I think they'd make wonderful music together.

Think two bottles of plonk would fit the bill nicely Jeff. There'll be no pain and you'll find everything receding.

Bloody good idea actually, I might have a few sherbets myself (1620 Saturday here).

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Q: What has 13 hats and 19 teeth?
A: Front row at a Willie Nelson concert.

I sat in the 4th row. I really like Willy's writing, siging, and playing. He's playing is so idiosyncratic that it's interesting, sort of like Richie's.

But I have no idea why anybody would take hallucinogens, especially mushrooms, which are grown in -ibson (caca) and make you puke as bad as if you're listening to Cher.

Remember when Willie got hit by a car? He was singing on the road again.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
C'mon West, what about "Crazy"? That's one of the best songs ever written! How about "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" and "Pancho and Lefty"? All quality songs written by Willie :D

But I concur with you Jeff, I can't believe they only got midemeanors for a lb. & 1/2 of pot, and 2 oz. of mushrooms. :shock:

I love some of the songs he wrote but he ain't exactly a great role model, is he?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I know, I know Dredster...figured I'd catch some flack over that one. Just personal opinion, but I've honestly always felt like just about anyone with a clothespin clamped around their nostrils could do as well as Willie. And to me virtually every song is boing, boing, boing, boing. Sorry, but I guess that's why we all listen to such a wide variety of music.

However, I did attend a Willie Nelson 4th of July Picnic outside of Austin back in the 70's though, somewhere out around the Pedernales River. Does that gain your forgiveness? :D

"Poncho and Lefty" is one of those collaborations I was referring to. Sorry again, but I think Merle makes that song. I do like that one. More recently, and I'm not a big Toby Keith fan either, but I like "Whiskey For My Men, Beer For My Horses" too. What was the song about reincarnation he did with Waylon and Merle? Like that one too. All collaborations though.

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
drednut said:
C'mon West, what about "Crazy"? That's one of the best songs ever written! How about "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" and "Pancho and Lefty"? All quality songs written by Willie :D

Well Dred, I have to call you on this one. I dearly love Willie's version of Poncho and Lefty, and I love Emmylou Harris's version too, but the song was written by Towns Van Zandt. If you have never heard Towns' live version with just him and his guitar, you have missed a lot.

I agree with you whole heartedly, he has written a lot of wonderful songs like Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain, Red Headed Stranger, Funny How Time Slips Away, and the song Willie starts every show with.....Whiskey River!!

Squawk

Reaction score
West -

FYI, many New Yorkers can't stand Bob Dylan and like Willie Nelson. It's all subjective to the individual.

What's nice is that Guilds seem to unite us all despite our differences in likes and dislikes. Except maybe for unity re: Cher....

Bing k

Reaction score
Cher? Willie wishes he had held up as well as she has. Come to think of it I wish I'd held up as well as Cher has.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ya'll left out "You Were Always On My MInd" He sings as good as Dylan & some others, different message maybe, & a lot of Western Swing I don't really care for. However make no mistake, he tours with the finest country musicians, fiddles, mando's, dobro's, pedal steel's it's all there & done by some of the best. I saw him live from 4th row center & it was a fine show. I'd go again.

Anyway, the issue as I see it, is with the Louisiana St Patrol. Stopping Willie's bus & busting the old tax evader & his friends is like the Dog Catcher taking Lassie to the pound cuz she didn't renew her dog license.

GW ought to call the Governor Of La & straighten this out. :?

Jeff

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: Jeffrey....I couldn't agree more.....Willie does sing as good as Dylan, but to me (in Olympic terms), that's like saying "Eddie the Eagle" was as good a ski jumper as the Jamaican bobsled team was in bobsledding!

All great for trying though! I'll give all of them an "A" for effort. :twisted: :D

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Should start a new thread for this, but since we're discussing great singers. Please rate the singing prowess of the following performers on a 1 (being the worst) to a 5 (being the best).:

1) Willie Nelson

2) Bob Dylan

3) Neil Young

4) Kris Kristoferson

5) Johnny Cash

6) Tiny Tim

This aught to stimulate some lively discussion! :twisted:

West