Strange Happenings At the FDP.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A geezer (NZer in fact), posts comments about Gary Moore's "horrible tone" and inappropriate "mile a minute" approach on a DVD he's seen.
Some reactionary s**t-kicker demands to know this bloke's credentials that qualify him to criticise.
I wade in, cos I thoroughly agree re. Gary Moore's all-too-often inappropriate blues approach, a couple of other blokes get on board and we've got a nice vigorous debate going on.
Next time I look, the subject has been deleted and I'm wondering if I've been given the bum's rush !!!!

I've had this happen before. I reported on Keef's palm tree antics in Fiji, and in a very short time, that post was expunged.

Any others here who are FDP members have any experiences like this ?

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
No Coastie. I am also a member of that board and haven't had that experience there so far.
Benee Wafers

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have not posted there enough to have any problems, but perhaps this segment from the FAQs will give an answer.

Q: #1 What are the posting guidelines?
A: 1) Please treat people the way you'd wish to be treated (the Golden Rule).

Keep in mind that the comments and opinions of individual posters are just that; comments and opinions. You might get an answer to a question from a 30 year veteran musician or a 13 year old kid. If in doubt, ask for the poster's credentials or check their user profile before you modify a guitar or amp or make a purchasing decision. The FDP is in no way responsible or liable for misinformation given out by individual members!

2) No profanity (that includes using @$#%* between letters i.e. f#$k), vulgarity, flames, or rude behavior. We expect you to be polite and conduct yourself in a grown-up manner on the FDP. Posting on the FDP Forum is a privilege, not a right. People who have trouble with these guidelines may be suspended from posting, either temporarily or permanently. *Posts may be edited for content or removed for any reason

3) The FDP Forum is not a place for discussion of politics, religion, or other "hot button" issues. This includes taglines (an optional field in your user profile). Religious, political, and other inappropriate references in taglines will cause your account to be suspended and all current posts removed. Hot button issues are determined solely by me and our moderators.

4) Please post your question or comment in the appropriate forum, the forum descriptions are on the main forum page. Misplaced posts are subject to relocation or removal without notice.

5) You are welcome to post a link to your band's website or MP3 site in your posts. But please do not use the FDP to create topics about your band's new record, etc. This is considered hype or spam.

Also, NO commercial links to your own site and NO for sale, wanted, or wanted to trade ads in the forums or your user profile. This also means absolutely NO LINKS to your Ebay auction or any other offsite sales you are involved with. Your account will be closed if you do this and the only way to come back in will be to become a Contributing Member. Others have paid for the privilege of listing their gear for sale in the Classifieds. If you're a Contributing Member, you'll need to kick in another donation.

What is a "For Sale, Wanted, Want to Trade" Ad?:

If you post that you are "thinking" about selling or trading a _____ - that's a "for sale" ad.

If you post you are looking to "buy ______, does anyone have one?" that's also an ad.

If you post that you have too much stuff and "something has to go, help me decide" - that's a "for sale" ad.

If you post "I wonder what this _____ is worth if I were to sell it" - that's a "for sale" ad.

If you state "I have a _____ for sale on ebay" - that's a "for sale" ad.

If in doubt about what's appropriate, email me or one of the moderators first. Don't risk losing your account!

If you try and use the forum to buy something from someone doing the above, you are just as guilty and the same consequences apply.

Q: #2 Why was my post removed?
A: See question #1! The FDP Forum is moderated and subject to my and our moderators interpretation of the posting guidelines. If we feel your post was inflammatory, irrelevant, or otherwise inappropriate, it is subject to removal. This is not open for debate. If you complain about it on the forum, you will likely have your account closed as the FDP is not the place for it. If you feel you must protest, do it privately; my email is posted as are, usually, the moderators. Do not expect us to give you an explanation however.

In Short.....It's great to be the King!!!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I understand the fdp has rules, and that they're enforced, even if it comes off as a little authoritarian sometimes.
It's a gigantic forum with an enormous amount of members and traffic and sponsors, based in a country where people sue each other about anything, and as internet forums go, (or any kind of place where people interact) that's a potentially very explosive situation. I can't blame them for enforcing some rules.

I've moderated on a smaller forum for a while, though still much bigger and busier than this one, and a grateful task it wasn't - I got called both a communist and a fascist as soon as I deleted or edited a couple of posts where people were namecalling and being deliberately insulting.

Squawk

Reaction score
I used to read and post at FDP - but comparing LTG to FDP is like comparing a Guild to a guitar one buys at Wal-Mart. Plus - we're geezers - we don't need no f@#king control freaks telling us what to do.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got some bad news for you all. Some us us have been censored
here at LTG ( :oops: ), but I can honestly say I deserved it. Not trying to suck up to Don, but he does a very good job. And Walter, I've often thought it must be a thankless one.

West

Squawk

Reaction score
I was censored on the Epiphone forum for saying nice things about Shine guitars (made by Saein, Epi's Korean OEM) - I started a thread, and in about 2 days and 3 or 4 more posts, it was history. Is Epi that threatened by another Korean guitar brand that's not even marketed in the US? Guess so.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments guys, and thanks.

Yes Walter, I can well imagine what a thankless task it would be.

I did think that the post may have been withdrawn because, possibly, the anticipation may have been that things were going to "develop". For my own part, I told the RSK that that had been a silly response. Personally, I could take being told I'd been silly. Not that it's ever likely to happen of course !!

Reaction score
OK, I'll bite...

OK, I'll bite....what's an FDP? I figures out the LTG part, but what's a FDP. I'm gathering it's some sort of forum. I know there are others out there, I just ignore them since I found LTG. It's like I said before, I know there are other brands of guitar, but I ignore everything that isn't a Westerly Guild. SO, clue me in. What's FDP stand for? Thanks. dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"Fender Duped People"........... uh oh, I'm going to get spanked for that one. :twisted: :wink:

West

Squawk

Reaction score
Fender Discussion - something with a P - Place? Page? Police?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

There's spanking at LTG? I was unaware. :shock:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastifier,

The last time I heard anyone else say that was on The Rowan and Martin Laugh-in. Sometimes this memorabilia just pops into your head :shock:

West