"Coated" strings (Elixer, for example)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last time I went to my local shop, they were really high on the "new" Elixer gore-tex coated strings. Anybody had experience with them? I have been using D'Addario light gauges for years... the the shop luthier said the coated strings will retain the "brightness" (sound, not appearance), substantially longer. Any first hand experience... and how are they tonally?

Thanks, Dave

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gard,

Everyone has their opinion. I had also used D'Addario lights for a long time. I guess since Guild Phosphor Bronze became hard for me to find. A friend of mine, and fellow Guild addict, talked me into trying Elixers about a year ago. I use the Nanowebs, which are also a coated string. To me, the Elixers have a much softer feel and since I play finger style without picks, they are very comfortable to me and seem to make my fingers less sore. They also last much, much longer before they begin to tarnish and lose their tone. The down side is that the Elixers cost about twice as much as most acoustic strings.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Yup I'm using Elixirs for the first time. I think the luthier put on polywebs though. Anyway they are coated, feel softer like WRL said and you don't get nearly as much string scratch sound.
To me they sounded a bit strange at first but now they are broken in ( or I am ) and they sound real good. They are definitely worth your trying them out. I also have a set of John Pearse waiting to be put on.
Alot of guys on here highly recommend them. They are not coated.
Benee Wafers

dklsplace

Reaction score
Anyone remember which thread we recently had a pretty in depth round of discussion on this topic?

I've tried Elixirs on a couple different guitars & they just didn't do much for me. John Pearse is getting all my acoustic string budget these days & a set holds it's own & lasts me quite awhile playing live regularly.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the thread Don. I suppose I'll have to give the Pearse a try sometime. Benee, I know what you mean about sounding different at first. Maybe I've gotten used to them too. The thing that blows me away is that I don't play my 12 that much, and it's such a pain to change strings on that thing that I have had this set on my JF-30 for about 7 months and they still sound great to me, unfortunately they don't help me play any better :p

West