Fretboard Logic I, Minor Born Again Experience.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Found my Fretboard Logic DVD while I was looking for Ry Cooder. Last time I had it out I kinda felt like I was in a 1 man kyak, off the coast of Vancouver Island, headed for some unknown destination in Asia.

I'm back up to about page 5 now and yesterday finally saw where the key of C scales & patterns reconnect up the neck. Pretty humble about it since it's so simple and I still have to think on it a bit in places. Just the same my potential as a guitar player just got a pretty good shot of vitamins.

Just have to the best I can now & get in there & root it out.

Feel kind of betrayed none of you ever took the time to point this out to me before.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Jeff I might say I'm in the same kayak as you as recently have purchased two books, Fretboard theory and Blues You Can Use.
Although I have been playing for an awful longtime with hiatus years never did really get past rudimentary playing. Have also invested in some top notch gear and have recently picked it up with th a vengence.
Phase 1. Learn to play a reaspectable guitar.2 Continue to write original material 3.Record CD of original material.
Benee Wafers

dklsplace

Reaction score
I didn't even know they had a fretboard logic dvd...my book has been sitting around for years. Practically new!

I had some more advanced students a little over a year ago that I was working through a lot of theory with. I had taken music theory as an independent study back in high school, but basically used the time to goof off. I had a few moments during lessons when something would click in my mind & I'd think, "huh....that's why I've been doing this thing when I play that?!"

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bene,

Greetings,

I'm retired 2 1/2 years now and enjoying myself a great deal. Now I have the time to do again what I was doing "BC" (before children), mainly what I want, if I want. Struggled with the concept for 8 or 10 months but have gotten noticeably better of late.

Often lately, I am finding it doesn't take too much to dress up rudimentary playing. For example I have played 5 or 6 blues progressions for years. Nothing in particular, a train song or two stuff like that. A couple BB King Classics. Simple bass runs, pretty boring after a while to me and those around me.

I started diddling around with my take on pentatonics, (whatever the heck that really is) & quickly things became more interesting. Doesn't necessarily sound like anthing I have heard before, but more "interesting". I'm foolin more people even myself.

I purchased dozens of how to books over the years, the one that did me the most good I bought for a quarter or a dollar somewhere. Old Timey Country Guitar? , in the back of the book was a little floppy piece of plastic with a 33 1/3 recording stamped on it. Perhaps the first floppy disk.

I learned a song "Buckdancers Choice",as played by Sam McGee. from the record. Crazy pickin, and what I thought at the time was complex patterns. Book would show you where to put yer fingers & the record told you what it was supposed to sound like. Revolutionary. I worked on the one tune for weeks, the recording was lost years ago.

Fretboard logic has pictures & text, but it also makes noise, thereby stimulating a second sense. It seems the lumber between my ears needs more stimulation than others to achieve comprehension.

There is a bit in the material Somewhere about the 1st semester of the 2nd year for a guy like me, called, I think, Tearin Up the P Patch. Nice hot Pickin, I have heard similar tunes many times. But the material walks you thru what's happening. A lot of cerebreal terms are bantered about, pentatonic this resolving in chromatic this to that, with a diatonic whatever thrown in here. It is surprising how much of you can pick up over 30 or 40 years. In theory that is.

Point is, lately I pick up my guitar & start messing around, a lot of it appears. Clumsy as it may be it's more fun than boom chicka boom. I'm hearing, actually hearing, much more of what's going on in the music I listen to as well. Often I can tell now if a passage is complex or just something simple done well. Seems often as not simple rules the day.

Like dklsplace said; " Oh yeah, that's what that is. I'll be darned, hey look it does it over here too".

Thanks for sharing the three phases, I feel pretty well set on phase 1, most everthing I have plays far better than I do.

Would be interesting to yak up some of your blues logic .

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hi Jeff.
I say lucky you to now be retired and one hopes able to find the time that was never previously available to do the things you wanted to do then.
I am very happy to hear that you have adjusted to the routine change.

Not much for me to chat up yet about the Blues You Can Use book or the Fretboard Theory book because........... you guessed it they both started off with the 5 patterns of the Pentatonic scale.They said........learn these until you don't have to think about how to play them anymore..... Then you have to learn how they all link up ?!
So now I can play pattern one without any trouble up and down the fretboard. I am working on Pattern 2 now. Otherwise I just play some songs I know and just the other day sat down and tried to play along with a jazzy version of Route 66 done in 1946 by Nat King Cole.
Alot of Guilders here prolly are familiar with the Stones version of Route 66 ( Rock n roll version). Actually written in the 1940's and recorded by Nat in 1946. Anyway I don't know any jazz chords so I just played with ninths which sounds alright. Tried to do some flat picking.
They said on one of the books if you want to become a pro player you'll have to practice at least 3 hours a day. Well I aint retired yet so I really don't have that kind of time to devote. You on the other hand........
Anyway, learn some new songs.Let us know how it goes.
Benee Wafers

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Benee,

Retiring made the difference for me, I did 3 hours a day for over a year when I retired. The Redhead gave me the F20 for Christmas & I got inspired.

Sounds like I am realy serious I know, but first you must appreciate the hopelessness of my musical abilities at the time, and my study & practice habits are rot. No discipline. I get carried away on goofy fingerpicking improvs & spend days accomplishing nothing.

I have gotten better & am asked to bring my guitar or play a bit now & then. Never would have happened 2 years ago.

A kid I know had an Ibanez at a party Memorial Day, He handed it to me & I had a few drunks dancin a bit for about 12 minutes till the last Corona hit me. I am a man of some experience & gave the kid his guitar back. I would have lasted longer if I had taken the little Guild, Maybe 15, 16 minutes.

Do you know what is involved in swapping recordings. I'd really enjoy hearing you & the others play.

I'm dying to crank my F20 for the true Guild buffs. Whatever I would play for you guys would sure nuff be simple, but at times that cheap little guitar howls.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Wel I have seen the one occassion where a member has posted an MP3 ( I guess ) of some tunes he played.
Do you have a recorder? That is one assist I was going to suggest.
Record yo playing a rhythm track and play along with yourself doing solo lines or whatever.
It is a possibilty on this site. You will have to record, convert to MP3 format and then post to this site. Or you create your own site like on Soundclick http:www.soundclick.com. For example go here and listen to me play electric on my original composition.......Not Gonna Let You Down....[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands ... dID=219812[/url].
The first thing you need is a recorder.
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

Come on, don't push that recording and posting it here. I'LL BE KICKED OFF THE SITE! :shock:

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Benee,

The only thing I have to record with is a little tiny webcam. I am told our computer can handle more complex programs.

I am curious what the tab $$$ is to get set up. Keep in mind I just put out 130.00 for the DV62 tune up & yesterday another 140.00 for a DVD drive so I can use Fretboard Logic on the computer. And the carpet in the living room should really be replaced.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

Not to worry, we'll save em all up for a Friday night. After everyone has a few beers it'll probably be alright. I'm counting on it.

Only people have fun.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Jeff
Go for the carpet ! Best way for you prolly is to record thru your computer but I don't do that and don't know how to either.
Plus there so much stuff to learn I haven't got 10% of the way thru and I've accepted the fact that I never will !! :(
I am not computer literate. I went out and bought a Tascam DPFX01 which is a quite simple to operate 8 track digital recorder.
It'll prolly run you 300 beans or cheaper on e bay but it's quite alot to spend unless you're really gonna put it to use.
Prolly alot more guys on this board could give some other ideas.
Benee

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Jeff
For the DV62 Tune up 130 bucks. Isn't that a bit steep?
If I'm not mistaken that should cost in the 60 buck price range no?
What did they do, exactly?
Benee

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think 5 frets at about 8.00 or 12.00 each made up most of the diff.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gene does a nice job so I don't argue price too much. He's set up all three of my acoustics & they are all pretty slick players.

I am starting to get a little fret buzz on the F20 & he says that's part of the deal, he'll fix it I just have to let him have it for a couple weeks, The buzz came on so gradually I didn't notice it till I heard someone else play it. Gene warned me about setting the action too low but I wanted it done anyway.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Would you happen to be familiar with a shop, somewhere East of Seattle, called Boogie Man Music? That's where I got my DV-72. Bought it on an Ebay auction, but that's where it came from. A guy named Kevin Fairfield ring a bell?

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

I'm not familiar with Boogie Man, the name doesn't sound familiar & I'm 90% positive I know em all. There are about a dozen bedroom communities east of Seattle, Bellevue, , Renton, Kent, Redmond, Issaquah, North Bend, Kirkland to recall a few.

It's Microsoft country, Lexus,& Jag & Hummer dealerships next to every Safeway store. Bose does a good business there as well. Very spooky housing prices. PHD computer geeks from all over the world.

I'd be suspecting your seller is all computer commerce & no retail outlet.

I'd be interested to know if I am unaware of an interesting shop in the area. It's a good thing for you I didn't know about the shop or your DV 72 might be hanging on my wall instead of yours. What did you have to lay out for it?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Today's revelation "Resolution"

Observed in afternoon "Practice" session, if one diverts some attention to where the tune is headed down the road the drive smooths out & sweet things happen. More stops along the way.

Good day for me.