D-4

Reaction score
Before D4

Drowlins - I used to own a couple of D4s. In the late 90's when my 75 G37 (a dreadnaught with arched back) in its locked case slid out the back door of a transit van as we were unloading backstage on a wintery day for a Dallas festival and that thud as it hit the pavement showed the separation in the old case...I decided it was time to retire that beauty from the roadgrind. I looked around for a replacement and decided on a D4 and replaced my road 12-string with the D4-12. I played a lot of them and always felt that they were excellent guitars, but not exceptional - time and seasoning would prove whether they ever would be. They were, to me, the cheaper version of the D25 - without the serious laquer job. Eventually, I would sell them and go to late 80's GF25 (the small jumbo), but the D4 series were dependable, solidly crafted and always got comments on the fullness of the sound. If I had a choice of a D4 and a D25, I'd go with the latter, as long as it had an arched back. But the D4 is a good guitar that I think should age into some kind of wonderful. Best to you.