"Anonymous" members - let's hear about you.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Every so often, I scan the Memberlist, and "visit" your hometowns. ( "Hah ! Ve know vere you live !" ). This fascinates me because, one, I am a nosey old sod, and two, I have a thirst for learning. Also, I have this old, hippie-era notion of international brotherhood, and all you people out there, aside from your politics and religions are basically like me. "What !! " some are saying. "I'm not remotely like that bloody annoying Kiwi !!" Yeah, but you know what I'm saying.
Anyhow, I notice a great many anonymous members on the list, and quite a few "internationals." Personally, I'd love to know more about you, as I'm sure a lot of your fellow Guild-ers would. How about introducing yourselves to us ? English not so good ? I can't imagine any of us caring about that.
Go on, you've got time - do it !
There's already a nice feeling of brotherhood here, let's work on that.

Kind regards to you all. Gary a.k.a. Coastie

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

I hope you visited here in Phoenix already, because it's now going to be too hot for tourists until October.

Yep, the international aspect is one of the reasons I like these forums. (Fora? Forae? Fori?) Over at the steel guitar forum, there are a lot of people from South Africa, Thailand, France, England, Austria. Someday when the computer is also the phone, we'll all be able to talk to each other. I look forward to that day, because the world will be a happier place when everybody knows just how gorgeous I am.

Squawk

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
I notice a great many anonymous members on the list, and quite a few "internationals." Personally, I'd love to know more about you, as I'm sure a lot of your fellow Guild-ers would. How about introducing yourselves to us ?

I'm on a few guitar forums, and generally don't fill in all the stuff on the profile because I quickly want to get on to ask a question. This is a great group - wish I had more time to participate more often.

For starters, I'm originally from New York City, but have been living in the Trenton, New Jersey area since 1975. I've been playing since high school - around 1965 - and played primarily bass in a few working bands in the late 60's - early 70's - never playing on stage again once I left NYC. I didn't pay much attention to guitars until about 7 years ago when my younger daughter took up an interest. Almost 6 years ago, my wife unexpectly passed away - guitar and bass playing - and collecting - became my way to release the tension and grief of unexpectedly becoming a single father of 2 daughters.

I like all sorts of guitars, but my Guilds are, of course, very special. My younger daughter, soon to be 21, is in school in NYC and playing NYHC punk - on her Guild Aviator. She also plays bass, and will inherit my Guild Pilot when the time is right.

john_kidder

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
There's already a nice feeling of brotherhood here, let's work on that.

Another aging hippie here, agree completely with all your sentiments, except, being from the left coast of Canada and having therefore been properly trained by the women here, I must add "sisterhood" to the above.

Cheers,

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Coastie,

I hope you visited here in Phoenix already, because it's now going to be too hot for tourists until October.

You guys do know what hot is all about. My first visit two years ago, I stepped off the plane to 117 degrees F. Scorched my sinus passages . :shock:

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Three more degrees and they would have landed out of state. They shut the airport down at 120. The planes can't fly right at high heat.

singermcl

Reaction score
A Southern California Left Coast Hippie.

Well I'm brand new here but I'll chime in.

I missed the true hippie era by a little bit but I'm a Guild fan from way back. I live in Southern California with my wife (who is supportive of my Guild fever) and my 2 young children. I write and perform my own music and I've released 3 CD's now and I'm sure none of you have ever heard of me and that's just fine with me *laughing*.

We mostly tour with and open for bigger country acts like Dwight Yoakam, the Mavericks, Merle and that kind of thing. My only claim to fame is a #8 hit in Europe and South America (?!) with a song called "Memphis Rain" a couple of years ago and my current CD is starting to pop up on European as well as U.S. Americana stations with two songs ("Mister heartache" and "South Of San Antone"). I play a Guild acoustic on stage (3 actually, 2 sixes and a 12). My favorite is a blonde JF-30 six string.

I got into Guilds from listening to and watching John Denver. That jumbo just hooked me with the deep, resonant lows and those crispy highs. Plus it looked so different. I fell in love with them and have never looked back.

My daughter is starting to get into guitar so we'll see how that goes. When not playing my Guilds I like to fly airplanes though having two expensive hobbies immediately qualifies me for the "Doghouse" award if I'm not careful. In all actuality my wife loves my guitars but gets mad when I refer to them as "the blonde" and "the brunette."

I do a LOT of house projects. :D

Reaction score
Just the facts, ma'am.

Wow! A lot of interesting information there on you old coots. My band, Smithfield Fair, played in Phoenix last year (Fiddler's Dream - smallest place I've EVER played, but O what an appreciative audience) and also did a concert in Prescott. We were to do one in Tucson, but the venue had renovation delays and that date got canceled. HoT????? HOt???? It was so bloody hot I believe the pueblos were on fire....but we had a great time. I would have gone to see the Fender/Guild Corporate Excess Headquarters while there, but...well, never mind. I just didn't feel like kicking a dead horse.

I'm from Louisiana where it never rains, never gets above 75 degrees or below 60 degrees, the sun shines and there's never anything stronger than a cooling breeze. And, no, I've had no problems or recurrances of former drug or substance abuse....no flashbacks...no hallucinations. Hey....look at the colours.....wow! Did you see that? Jerry Garcia just flew by on little sparkly wings.....wow.....

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Yep...my band was in Phoenix in September, and getting out of the van it felt like someone was pointing a giant hairdryer at me! :shock: