another newbie

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Hi anyone,

just discovered this forum after reading about it on the Gretsch pages. I used to occasionally post some stuff on the FDP forum but the guy kicked me off for offering to swap a pickup with someone.

My Guild portfolio is small, namely:

1966 red Starfire III with the stepped pickguard and two humbuckers. I love the sound from this guitar, especially the neck pickup - incredibly woody and involved - while the bridge is trebly and rock'n'rolly.

I didn't pay a lot for it either, mainly because the finish is a little worn. I have some pics but I'm not sure how to insert as I don't have a website and they're on my hard drive.

But my lovely new toy is a 1960 Starfire III in a beautiful mellow maroon/walnut-y colour, more like some of the Gretsch colours and the same as that depicted on the cover of the Kinks Kontroversy album:
http://kinks.it.rit.edu/lyrics/regular/ ... oversy.jpg

However, mine has black-face Dearmond 200s on it - this is the only Starfire I've ever seen with blackface Dearmonds, the others are all white. Anyone else seen one of these? Again I have pics.

Also, mine has binding on the front only, and no binding on the back of the neck-joint. The condition is amazing, virtually no marks or scratches, one tiny crack on the f-hole, no fret-wear or finish-wear on the neck. It's hardly been played. The sound is great as you'd expect, especially from the bridge, although I think I prefer the humbucker sound at the neck.

However, action and playability is way better that my 1966 Guild which I'll probably sell. The 1960 one was more than twice as expensive, but I my God did I covet it : )

I also had a Dearmond Starfire Special with blackface Dearmonds. Nice piece, but the Bigsby was lame and it was actually a completely different guitar. I sold that recently for a good price.

So that's me. I'd be happy to hear anyone who knows any more about the early Starfires like my 1960, particularly anyone who can indetify the colour and the use of black Dearmonds. Also, I'm not sure if the middle position is out of phase on my 1960 - it's harder to tell.

Greetings from London,

PK[/url]

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Parker. Hello from the Colonies.
The very first Guild guitar I ever saw was THAT SF3 on the Kinks Kontroversy cover. Still a darned good album too!
Welcome to the Forum, but be warned, there's a whole lot of weirdos here !!

Reaction score
:roll: Parker, I've been lucky so far in not getting kicked off the FDP. You never know what to say or who is gona take it the wrong way.

Reaction score
:D I do like the FDP. I have no problem & I try to be as correct as I can when I do write. I have been warned several times & I don't want to loose my privilage. I read more than writing, as I do here. The 1st forum I found when I got back into guitars & my Strats & Teles was FDP. I don't think we should say terrible things about it or Chris Greene. He has his rules & if it were mine I would have to have some type of control. I contribute some when I can to help & would do the same here if Don said so. I think that $30.00 per year or when you can is not much to enjoy all the things we can read & learn. If I were Don, I would ask for small contributions to help w/ site. All he has to do is ask.

So, let's keep it clean for all. My 2 cents & not ment to offend anyone.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

Meet me at Jake's in Birmingham, Abalama. I'll distract him. and then you run off with his guitars. You can carry six under each arm, can't you?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Jake, I have a great first verse for "Woke Up This Mornin''.
I've been trying very hard to figure out how to post it under Jake's name, so that he gets in the poo, and not me.

Reaction score
8) Ya'll cats can come by for a nice jam but ya have to leave the axes when you leave. Got too much money in them. As far as Mrs Jake goes, they both went left over 20 years ago. Man, I would not have any guitars if I still would have had them around. :twisted:

Hey coastie, I wrote a little song about it... ya want to hear it? Yahwaaaaaa.

What happened to Parker? Did he get booted off this place also?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
no, I was wandering the globe. Actually I was road managing a reggae band in turkmenistan which was muito interesting.

Re. FDP, the guy says "nothing of a political or religious nature", which is fine, except there's a statement in big letters at the top of of the home which could be said to be both ; )

Re. the Starfire, mine is in nicer nick than that, a different colour, and no girlie sticker, and it is a III and not a I, but it was also $800 more expensive. Interestingly mine has a Bigsby branded Bigsby (not Guild branded) as it apparently precedes when they started branding their own trems.