Coastie's Handyman Tips #2

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Got any of these old stone crocks that your significant other is foolishly using as a planter ? Here's a tip. A 600ml Heineken bottle fits the neck perfectly. Fill with ice / water, ET VOILA; a perfect beer cooler. AND, the handy 600ml size significantly reduces lost practice time, with less annoying visits to the fridge. Look out for Coastie's Internet Market, opening soon. Or meantime, only US $199 plus shipping...................................................... http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/c ... G_0489.jpg

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
C Man,

Where are you getting this stuff? How do you get the G on the crock? And did you really build that dunnie tribute to John Crapper?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The crocks come from local junk shops - in our part of NZ there seem to be a lot of them (crocks). The G and Heineken stickers are made at a little sign shop / screen printers here. They computer scan your specimen image and size according to your requirements. Your sticker comes with a removable backing, and covering so that you remove the backing, position the sticker which naturally is sticky, and then remove the top layer. YA GOTTA be able to do this in the U.S.of A.!!!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Yes I did build the Beer Cooler. Easy,peasy with basic handyman tools. Kiwis are VERY enterprising when it comes to fixing / mechanicing / making things. All down to our isolation way down here, where parts took a helluva long time to get here before the modern era, so we fixed what was busted and made do with whatever came to hand. That today, is why there are a remarkable number of Kiwis mechanicing for motor racing teams. And it was a Kiwi who succeeded in splitting the atom. For the (arguably) ultimate clever Kiwi jokers, google up "Bert Munro" and "John Britten" and prepare yourself for a mind-boggling.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,
Is "mechanicing" slang in NZ? The only person in the US who I've heard use it is my brother. How do you pronounce it? He pronounces it "MECH a nicking."

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. With my fabulous grip of the English language, I figure that I can bastardize it as much as I like ! Here's one that will REALLY surprise you. "William Pickering".

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

Is you're brother from Texas? A very common term used here and your pronounciation is right on, one that may have been coined by the guru of southern slang....Mr. Foxworthy.....THE professor of Redneck! Of course, Jeff is in an elite league with the likes of my all time hero....Larry the Cable Guy!

West

P.S. Coastie, I knew exactly what you meant.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"If you have a home that's mobile, and six cars that aren't, you might be a redneck.' --Jeff Foxworthy

My mom had the mobile, my dad had the cars, and my brotherhad the mobile AND the cars.