How is the Westerly JF-55 ?

Abalone

Reaction score
How does a Westerly JF-55 sound? I love my JF-55-12 and use 010 strings on it, and it has a incredible low end and ringing treble. It makes me wonder how the JF-55 sounds with 013 strings. Love to own one if it's as good as my 12-stringer.

Thanks

William63

Reaction score
If you're talking about the JF55 6 string then let me just say that it is the best jumbo I have ever played. Mine is a 1996 Westerly made model. It has a wonderful deep rich tone that has just gotten better over the years.

Abalone

Reaction score
William63 said:
If you're talking about the JF55 6 string then let me just say that it is the best jumbo I have ever played. Mine is a 1996 Westerly made model. It has a wonderful deep rich tone that has just gotten better over the years.

Yes, I meant the Guild JF-55. I can't get enough of my 12-stringer, so if the 6-stringed is as good I just need to have one. How does it play? My JF-55-12 is one of the easiest guitars I've ever played including many 6-stringed guitars to. All of the Guilds I've playedin stores have been really easy to play compared to the Martins I've played and owned. Maybe Guild uses a shorter scale then Martins 25,4" ?

William63

Reaction score
Abalone, I had the action on mine professionally set. It plays as well as a Taylor! There are a couple on Ebay for sale right now. My JF55 is the guitar of my dreams. I no longer lust after any other 6 string. It's simply the best.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Abalone,

The next time you intend to change strings on your 12, put a 6 string set on it just for kicks and you'll have a pretty good idea.

West

Abalone

Reaction score
William63 said:
Abalone, I had the action on mine professionally set. It plays as well as a Taylor! There are a couple on Ebay for sale right now. My JF55 is the guitar of my dreams. I no longer lust after any other 6 string. It's simply the best.

Hi!

I didn't find any on Ebay :roll: Only a 12-stringer. Nice to hear your comment on your 55.

Abalone

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Abalone,

The next time you intend to change strings on your 12, put a 6 string set on it just for kicks and you'll have a pretty good idea.

West

Maybe I'll try that, how simple 8)

Abalone

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearList.aspx?GS=Y&SF0=12&SD0=1&SF1=8&SD1=1&Keyword=jf+55

Abalone (or Abbalone?)

Here is a JF55 for sale at gbase. And this one has abalone! Generally, the guitars at gbase aren't as cheap as they are on ebay, but not always.

I don't know about getting a 6 string sound from a 12 string because usually they aren't made exactly the same.

Have you ever eaten abalone?

No Abba for even if I'm from "La Suede" :wink:

Thanks,but that was a lefty you linked and I'd like one in sunburst 8)

What I've heard is that the 12-stringers are built with more heavy bracing and that shouldn't give the same sound as a 6-stringed, but I might be wrong on that.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No "Blue Suede Shoes" (El Visp Presley) ?

No "Blue Swede" (High on a Feeling) ?

Abalone is a rare, expensive, and delicious shellfish. I think the Swedes would love it. I've only had it once. For all I know, it is so rare that it may be illegal to sell it at a restaurant or store in America. I got to eat it because the guy who served it dove down into the ocean and got it himself.

How about it, Guilders from all nations: Have you heard of eating abalone where you are? It's pronounced "abba LO nee" rhymes with "jab beLOW me."