Guild GAD-G212

steverok

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. I recently purchased one of them there new-fangled, made-in-China Guild guitars. It really is a beaut, to put it simply, it has THE sound. A very well-balanced 12-string guitar, with lots of ringing highs, solid mids and lows, never scratchy, trebly, or unpleasing in any way. I do have a couple of issues with this instrument, both of which I believe I can improve. The first item is I want a pick-up, so I recently bought one of these LR Baggs Elements, which I need to have installed. While I am at it with that install, I thought I might take a crack at improving the playability of the guitar. I believe the string spacing is designed such that there is not quite enough room to play it clean. It has a width of 1.875" at the nut, which is plenty of real estate. However, they do not make the most efficient use of the space. This picture is not my guitar, but it is pretty much just like mine :

http://www.elderly.com/images/fmic/26N/ ... -front.jpg

I would like to install a new nut, which pushes the E pairs closer to the edge, and also makes the strings, within a pair, a hair closer together. This will make it easier to fret cleanly, and also easier to pick, since the string pairs will have more-defined regions near the sound-hole. The Guild website says the nut is made of bone. How much does that impact the sound ? Could I make a similar nut, or, does anyone know someone who could do such a job ? The China factory almost nailed this one, but not quite ...

steverok

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. I recently purchased one of them there new-fangled, made-in-China Guild guitars. It really is a beaut, to put it simply, it has THE sound. A very well-balanced 12-string guitar, with lots of ringing highs, solid mids and lows, never scratchy, trebly, or unpleasing in any way. I do have a couple of issues with this instrument, both of which I believe I can improve. The first item is I want a pick-up, so I recently bought one of these LR Baggs Elements, which I need to have installed. While I am at it with that install, I thought I might take a crack at improving the playability of the guitar. I believe the string spacing is designed such that there is not quite enough room to play it clean. It has a width of 1.875" at the nut, which is plenty of real estate. However, they do not make the most efficient use of the space. This picture is not my guitar, but it is pretty much just like mine :

http://www.elderly.com/images/fmic/26N/ ... -front.jpg

I would like to install a new nut, which pushes the E pairs closer to the edge, and also makes the strings, within a pair, a hair closer together. This will make it easier to fret cleanly, and also easier to pick, since the string pairs will have more-defined regions near the sound-hole. The Guild website says the nut is made of bone. How much does that impact the sound ? Could I make a similar nut, or, does anyone know someone who could do such a job ? The China factory almost nailed this one, but not quite ...