Thunderbird

wabash slim

Reaction score
I aquired a Thunderbird amp (mid 60's I suspect) in a trade.which cost me nothing. After a couple of minor repairs and a good cleaning it's working fine. It's a great hulking brute of an amp---3'tall X 2'wide X 1' deep. It's got 2-12"Jensens(no markings as such, but, I've seen a lot of Jensens). Does anybody have any info on this? Schematics? It does look good with my M-65-3/4 alongside. It's got a Master Volume, that, tho somewhat innefective, is the earliest I've ever seen. Any help would be appreciated.

wabash slim

Reaction score
I aquired a Thunderbird amp (mid 60's I suspect) in a trade.which cost me nothing. After a couple of minor repairs and a good cleaning it's working fine. It's a great hulking brute of an amp---3'tall X 2'wide X 1' deep. It's got 2-12"Jensens(no markings as such, but, I've seen a lot of Jensens). Does anybody have any info on this? Schematics? It does look good with my M-65-3/4 alongside. It's got a Master Volume, that, tho somewhat innefective, is the earliest I've ever seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Kap'n

Reaction score
I guess I'm a little late to the party here, but...

There have been a few different versions of the Thunderbird amp. One I had, which was either a 69 or 70 from date codes looked very similar to the amp seen with George Benson in promo shots. It had two chassis, with the power section in the bottom, and a pair of Jensen C12N's.

FWIW, the Jensens had a gray/beige crinkle finish and bell covers. You probably know this, but there might be a six or seven digit code on the speaker rim starting with 220. The remaining digits indicate the year, and week of year the speakers were made in.

No schematic, but from what I could gather from the amp, it had a strange power supply.