mahogany D44?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Is there such a thing as a mahogany D44? And is there such a thing as flamed mahogany? Might they mean tiger-striped mahogany? Or pearwood?

During that particular period the D-44 could have had Pearwood or Maple back & sides. The normal suffix for a D-44 with maple sides would be 'M' for Maple. FM would be a somewhat unusual suffix for this period but since the seller states that it is 'flamed' wood, it is at all possible that they added the 'FM' suffix to point out that this was 'flamed maple'. The photos are too dark to see. Whatever it is, it is stained pretty dark.

Sincerely,

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Is there such a thing as a mahogany D44? And is there such a thing as flamed mahogany? Might they mean tiger-striped mahogany? Or pearwood?

During that particular period the D-44 could have had Pearwood or Maple back & sides. The normal suffix for a D-44 with maple sides would be 'M' for Maple. FM would be a somewhat unusual suffix for this period but since the seller states that it is 'flamed' wood, it is at all possible that they added the 'FM' suffix to point out that this was 'flamed maple'. The photos are too dark to see. Whatever it is, it is stained pretty dark.

Sincerely,

Hans

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Responding to an ancient thread here, but I just saw a pretty cool '72 D44 in a local shop during my lunch hour. The sides/back are MUCH lighter than this, and the dealer believes it is pearwood.

Serial is in the 63000's so I believe that makes it a '72. This was a few years after the move to Westerly, correct?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Fungus, Fun Gus, or Fung Us,

As I understand it, Guild's move was transitional, with some models made in RI while some were still made in New Jersey. And with any particular guitar, you can see signs of both NJ and RI. And even before and after the move, you can see original guitars with traces from two and even three years. One more reason while why Guild interests me.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I have two D-44's, one pearwood and the other maple. I really like both of them. If you told me I could only keep one, I don't know what I would do.

Two outstanding dreadnaughts.

Just my .02 tonight.

CK