Dating Guild Cases

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Does anybody have any info on dating Guild cases? Are there any sites that give pics of Guild cases, showing how to date them?

Hello Darryl,

There were way too many different choices and suppliers of Guild cases over the years. However, you can date them roughly by the Guild nameplate or logo used on the outside of the case. I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum. Does anyone feel like going through all the old material to find that thread?

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Does anybody have any info on dating Guild cases? Are there any sites that give pics of Guild cases, showing how to date them?

Hello Darryl,

There were way too many different choices and suppliers of Guild cases over the years. However, you can date them roughly by the Guild nameplate or logo used on the outside of the case. I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum. Does anyone feel like going through all the old material to find that thread?

Hans Moust

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hi Hans,

All I need to know about is what a 70s case looks like. I know the 60s cases had "Guild Guitars, Inc" on a metallic plate attached by screws or nails, and the 70s had the sticker with just "Guild" on it. But when did they make that change? And when did they quit using the sticker?

Dank U vel

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hi Hans,

All I need to know about is what a 70s case looks like. I know the 60s cases had "Guild Guitars, Inc" on a metallic plate attached by screws or nails, and the 70s had the sticker with just "Guild" on it. But when did they make that change? And when did they quit using the sticker?

Dank U vel

dklsplace

Reaction score
I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum.

I have a vague recollection of that, but I can't find anything relating to Guild cases in the stuff I archived from the old forum. Might it have been very early into the previous forum, or come up in a different thread?

dklsplace

Reaction score
I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum.

I have a vague recollection of that, but I can't find anything relating to Guild cases in the stuff I archived from the old forum. Might it have been very early into the previous forum, or come up in a different thread?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My D-25M is a '79 and it just has a plastic guild sticker on the side of the case that holds the neck. The rest of my cases have Guild painted or printed permentantly on the front (top of guitar) exterior of the case. I don't know if that helps. :?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My D-25M is a '79 and it just has a plastic guild sticker on the side of the case that holds the neck. The rest of my cases have Guild painted or printed permentantly on the front (top of guitar) exterior of the case. I don't know if that helps. :?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

I suppose that I should have added that my D-25M case is not the true hardshell case. It is the thin, less expensive case. I don't remember if I could have opted for the hardshell and chose this one, or if since the D-25 was considered a lower end Guild acoustic, the cheaper case was standard equipment.

I'm sure, as Hans said, that several manufacturers have supplied cases to Guild through the years and it would be difficult to nail down exactly when a particular case was made. If anyone knows, Hans will.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

I suppose that I should have added that my D-25M case is not the true hardshell case. It is the thin, less expensive case. I don't remember if I could have opted for the hardshell and chose this one, or if since the D-25 was considered a lower end Guild acoustic, the cheaper case was standard equipment.

I'm sure, as Hans said, that several manufacturers have supplied cases to Guild through the years and it would be difficult to nail down exactly when a particular case was made. If anyone knows, Hans will.

West

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dating Guild cases

Hello Darryll,

Here are some photos that might give you a rough idea from what period a case could be. Keep in mind that sometimes cases were labeled and stocked and it could take quite a long time before they got used.

This is the label that was used during the '50s and into the '60s:

CaseLabel_50.jpg

This one was used through the '60s:

CaseLabel_60.jpg

This one from appr. 1970 up till 1975:

CaseLabel_70.jpg

From 1975 to about 1980:

CaseLabel_75.jpg

and after 1980:

CaseLabel_80.jpg

By the mid-'80s the Guild name was silkscreened on the lid of the case.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dating Guild cases

Hello Darryll,

Here are some photos that might give you a rough idea from what period a case could be. Keep in mind that sometimes cases were labeled and stocked and it could take quite a long time before they got used.

This is the label that was used during the '50s and into the '60s:

CaseLabel_50.jpg

This one was used through the '60s:

CaseLabel_60.jpg

This one from appr. 1970 up till 1975:

CaseLabel_70.jpg

From 1975 to about 1980:

CaseLabel_75.jpg

and after 1980:

CaseLabel_80.jpg

By the mid-'80s the Guild name was silkscreened on the lid of the case.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Hans