Curly Indian

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes, in reference to Indian rosewood that isn't straight-grained. Maybe he meant "figured." I just googled and found this number for these terms:

997 "Figured braziliian rosewood"
24 "curly brazilan rosewood"
159 "figured Indian rosewood"
1 "curly indian rosewood"

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes, in reference to Indian rosewood that isn't straight-grained. Maybe he meant "figured." I just googled and found this number for these terms:

997 "Figured braziliian rosewood"
24 "curly brazilan rosewood"
159 "figured Indian rosewood"
1 "curly indian rosewood"

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The names given to tonewoods can be very confusing and I think miss-quoted a lot.

This site gives pictures of different tonewoods as used in electric solid body guitars. They have pictures of maples in Quilted, Birdseye, Flame, Burl, and Spalted. Some of these types could come from the same log and depend on where they come from in the tree and what direction it is cut. Burl is generally a diseased section ot the tree, or from a stump that has started growing again. Birdseye, I believe comes from damage to a tree from woodpeckers that has then been grown over.

Yada, Yada, Yada. :roll:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/wood/main.htm

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The names given to tonewoods can be very confusing and I think miss-quoted a lot.

This site gives pictures of different tonewoods as used in electric solid body guitars. They have pictures of maples in Quilted, Birdseye, Flame, Burl, and Spalted. Some of these types could come from the same log and depend on where they come from in the tree and what direction it is cut. Burl is generally a diseased section ot the tree, or from a stump that has started growing again. Birdseye, I believe comes from damage to a tree from woodpeckers that has then been grown over.

Yada, Yada, Yada. :roll:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/wood/main.htm

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Mr. P,

I have been to the Ed Roman site before, but had never noticed the descriptions and pictures of the various tone woods. A very interesting and informative site.

Thanks,
West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Mr. P,

I have been to the Ed Roman site before, but had never noticed the descriptions and pictures of the various tone woods. A very interesting and informative site.

Thanks,
West

J45dale

Reaction score
A lot of the current offerings of brw, although very pricy are curley -patterned, stumpwood. Not the old, much admired stright grained brw.So possibly curley IRW is also cheaper stumpwood?
Dale

J45dale

Reaction score
A lot of the current offerings of brw, although very pricy are curley -patterned, stumpwood. Not the old, much admired stright grained brw.So possibly curley IRW is also cheaper stumpwood?
Dale

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: Cheaper...ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Everything is relative! I imagine that the figured, curley...etc is probably at the price that the straight grain was 10 years ago, and the straight is rediculous.

This raw back and sides set costs $700.00!!!!! :shock:

It appears to be true "quarter sawn" (did I make up a word?) and it is a beautiful "Book Matched" set. So at a minimum I expect you would add one more zero to that figure to take one home like that!!

f032266d.jpg

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: Cheaper...ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Everything is relative! I imagine that the figured, curley...etc is probably at the price that the straight grain was 10 years ago, and the straight is rediculous.

This raw back and sides set costs $700.00!!!!! :shock:

It appears to be true "quarter sawn" (did I make up a word?) and it is a beautiful "Book Matched" set. So at a minimum I expect you would add one more zero to that figure to take one home like that!!

f032266d.jpg