More F212 questions

jagfolks

Reaction score
A couple more questions on a guitar that I think is an F 212. It has the big body like a F512 but not as fancy and with mahogany back and sides and two sets of open gear tuners. When I bought it years ago, used, it was tuned to full pitch, and as I also had an American built Epiphone 12 string at the time which was tuned to D, I tuned the Guild the same way. Did the factory recommend tuning these guitars down a full note or is standard tuning OK?
Thanks,
Bob Stevenson Plymouth, Michigan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jagfolks said:
A couple more questions on a guitar that I think is an F 212. It has the big body like a F512 but not as fancy and with mahogany back and sides and two sets of open gear tuners. When I bought it years ago, used, it was tuned to full pitch, and as I also had an American built Epiphone 12 string at the time which was tuned to D, I tuned the Guild the same way. Did the factory recommend tuning these guitars down a full note or is standard tuning OK?

Hello Bob,

If the body is as big as an F-512 then what you have should be an F-212XL. The F-212XL was built to be tuned to standard tuning unlike other guitars where a lower tuning was recommened. Since the scale on these guitars is 25-1/2" you can tune 'm down to D and you can still play without the rattling and buzzing that you would get on a short scale instrument.
I've even heard people go lower than that, but I should add that most of those people used a slightly heavier gauge string.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

jagfolks

Reaction score
Hans,Thanks one more! This guitar does have the 25-1/2 scale and is 16" wide at the bottom and 11-1/2" at the top. The depth is 4-7/8 at the bottom and 3-7/8" at the top. There is no sticker telling the model and although it's hard to read through the finish the back of the head stock has what appears to be the serial number of 113586. With your knowledge you must be a collector or dealer of Guild guitars!
Thanks,
Bob

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jagfolks said:
This guitar does have the 25-1/2 scale and is 16" wide at the bottom and 11-1/2" at the top. The depth is 4-7/8 at the bottom and 3-7/8" at the top. There is no sticker telling the model and although it's hard to read through the finish the back of the head stock has what appears to be the serial number of 113586.

Hello again Bob,

If your guitar has a 16" wide body, then it is a F-212. The F-212XL is one step bigger, which is 17" across the lower bout.
Serial # 113586 would make it an instrument from 1975.

I'm not exactly a dealer but I guess you could call me a collector.

Hans Moust

jagfolks

Reaction score
Hi Hans, Does this mean that it should be tuned one step down? It does have the double truss rods.
Thanks again,
Bob

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jagfolks said:
Does this mean that it should be tuned one step down? It does have the double truss rods.

No, you don't have to but I wouldn't use anything heavier than a light set on that guitar, which would be a set with a .010 for the high-E.
It's not so much the neck that I'm worried about but the top.

Keep pickin'!

Hans Moust

jagfolks

Reaction score
Hi Hans, I do have light strings on it but the high E is .011. The others are .014/.014-.023/.009-.029/.014-.039/.023-./049/.029. Next time I guess that I should get extra light or check the string diameter first. Along with the Guild a also have a couple of Grammer guitars, which I dearly love, and the little one is about the loudest smallguitar that I've ever heard.
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me!
Thanks,
Bob

jagfolks

Reaction score
Hi Ck,
With his knowledge that wouldn't surprise me in the least!
Bob

jagfolks

Reaction score
Hi Ck,
With his knowledge that wouldn't surprise me in the least!
Bob