How can I get appraisal info. for my D-50?

Reaction score
Hi everybody...I'm new here.

I have a D-50 from 1993 that is in good/very good shape. I don't have the serial # at my finger tips (can post that later) but does anyone know anything about this particular year? It has the smaller head stock...don't know much about what characteristics (year, factory, pre-Fender, etc.) make one D-50 more desirable over another.

Thanks!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Drop,

What I can tell you is that your guitar was built in Westerly, Rhode Island about 2 years prior to Fender's purchase of Guild. Fender continued to build guitars at the Westerly plant until 2001, I believe. This, in my view makes your guitar far more valuable (to me anyway), than a guitar built post Fender and especially, post Westerly. Fender has experienced several structural and finish problems since moving production from Rhode Island. Your D-50 is a great guitar, and in good shape, will only appreciate in value.

So far as an actual appraisal, it depends on the condition of the guitar and obviously, how badly someone wants it.

I know this isn't much help to you, but I hope I gave you a little insight.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Working on some modifications to the forum & had to restore from a backup done prior to you last couple posts here. I can't restore them in their original form, but here is the text:

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 04:52 pm by DropD

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated and useful. I wondered whether the pre-Fender thing had an impact on value or quality. When I asked a guy from the music shop where I bought it years ago he said that it didn't matter re: value...that the Fender stuff actually had more consistency. I would have thought otherwise, as you pointed out.

I did learn that this is acutally a 1988 model (D500406) according to the Guild/Fender site. It is in fantastic shap structually, but does have some finish checking, yellowed binding and a few minor dings. I would rate it at Good to Very Good. I've considered selling to make room for a Martin HD28. (Does that make me an outcast now? )

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 05:20 pm by West R Lee

No, the D-28 thing doesn't make you an outcast and as you well know everyone has an opinion, however, I recently spent about an hour in a room by myself playing a new HD-28 and a D-35. I was comparing the sound of my old Guild D-25M to them, although I had told the salesman I was considering a purchase. I just wasn't real impressed with either. The action was good on both, but neither had the sustain or projection of my old Guild D-25. The other thing that I had never before noticed in playing Martins(it had been a while), is how light they were compared to any Guild I've ever played. That has to say something about the strength of the instrument.

Good luck on your quest in Martinland, but I can't help but feel that you not only have a great guitar in the D-50, but a piece of Guild history.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Drop,

I've just seen a 1987 Guild price list and the "new" (1987) suggested retail for a D-50 was $996.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I figured that was around list...I think I paid $850 for it w/ case.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As I alluded to in a separate posting, use the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th Edition, for value and/or pricing info. It's over 700 pages of info and a good tool to keep in the shed.

Stay in tune,
Joe
:)

tjmangum

Reaction score
For insurance purposes, Gruhn can also do an appraisal if you supply pictures and info.
Cost 50 bucks,
tj