Guild No Longer Making the Dave Gonzales Model?

Ted

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just went to the Guild site and they are no longer listing the Dave Gonzales model...does Hans or anyone know the inside story?

Best,

Ted

billydlight

Reaction score
Aparently they ain't making much of anything. There are no more archtops at all, except the benedetto stuff. What a drag. I guess they are putting their resources into Gretsch.

Charlie Vegas

Reaction score
Maybe FMIC should do with Guild electrics, what Fred Gretsch did. Strike a marketing agreement with another company who can market, design, and build them better then they can.

Ted

Reaction score
Wait, just got off the phone with my local Guild dealer. Guild has moved their entire operation to Tacoma Washington (about 30 minutes south of Seattle), and apparently they have stopped all production on the X500 and X550 guitars (among others) until later this year. Theses models will go back into production probably in January.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Ted said:
Wait, just got off the phone with my local Guild dealer. Guild has moved their entire operation to Tacoma Washington

Guild acoustics are being made at the Tacoma plant. Last word I heard on the electric front was that they would be staying in California. :?

dklsplace

Reaction score
If they did consider farming out production, I cast my vote for Heritage in Kalamazoo! Then I'd be first in line to sweep the floors if they couldn't put me to work on a line somewhere. 8)

RAO

Reaction score
Actually Charlie, Tacoma did make a fully carved jazz box before the Fender deal. It wouldn't be a stretsch for them to do a plywood guitar is they have the tooling.
I'm hoping that when the electrics are reannounced we see something exciting but I doubt it. More humbuckers......

Charlie Vegas

Reaction score
Ted said:
they have stopped all production on the X500 and X550 guitars (among others) until later this year. These models will go back into production probably in January.
It's now Jan '06 with no signs of electrics.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Charlie Vegas said:
Well, we can only hope.
Yes, of course, but I have to admit I'm watching the Guild/Fender developments for entertainment value more than anything else - I don't think I'll be buying any more archtops any time soon, and if I do, they'll most likely be vintage anyway.

santfe

Reaction score
Gonzales model

Hi guys.

I saw a post somewhere (Fender Forum?) that said they were only making this model to special order.

(This is only hearsay)

Aren't the Gibson Custom Shop models (like the Duane Eddy) only made to order (you aren't likely to see one on display in a showroom :)) ?

santfe

Reaction score
Gonzales model

Hi guys.

I saw a post somewhere (Fender Forum?) that said they were only making this model to special order.

(This is only hearsay)

Aren't the Gibson Custom Shop models (like the Duane Eddy) only made to order (you aren't likely to see one on display in a showroom :)) ?