How Old is My Guitar?

Reaction score
I recently bought a Guild JF30-12 on ebay, and it arrived today. It is a Westerly, RI guitar and except for a few little dings, in excellent condition. Is there any way of finding out the age of this guitar? The serial number is AJ 321659. It plays and sounds fantastic. Beautiful curly maple sides and back.

I also recently bought a 2003 Corona F50R, which is also a beautiful instrument, both in looks and sound. After I bought it, I had it set up by Intermountain Guitar and Banjo in Salt Lake City, Utah, and now has great action. They also did some fret work on it. They had a 1972 F50R in the shop, which I played side-by-side with my new one after they set it up, and I must admit that the old 1972 Westerly sounded and played even better. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite go the extra 60% it would've cost me to buy the older one, even though it included a nifty vintage case with a rope handle and various unmatched hinges and latches next to the broken original ones. Looked like it had been in a train wreck, or two. The older guitar also had a number of cosmetic flaws consistent with its age and probable status as a veteran of the honky tonk wars, which my wife was not impressed with. (You married guys will understand.)

I'm just looking forward to the wood aging another 20 years on my pretty, new F50R. (Maybe I'll put a rope handle on my new F50R case and leave it out in the road for a couple of days to give it some character, too!)

Any help on finding out the age of my JF30-12 would be greatly appreciated.

moabdds

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
moabdds said:
I recently bought a Guild JF30-12 on ebay, and it arrived today. It is a Westerly, RI guitar and except for a few little dings, in excellent condition. Is there any way of finding out the age of this guitar? The serial number is AJ 321659.

Hello moabdds,

Your JF-30-12 is from 1999.
If you have any further questions, just get back here!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
Hans,

Thanks for the information. When did Fender take over Guild? Was it in 1999? Any way to tell if the guitar is pre- or post-Fender? Guess it really doesn't matter, since it is a great-sounding guitar anyway. Just curiosity.

moabdds

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
moabdds said:
When did Fender take over Guild? Was it in 1999? Any way to tell if the guitar is pre- or post-Fender?

Hello moabdds,

Actually, Fender bought Guild already in 1995, but the instruments were still made by the same people in the same building in Westerly, RI.
So technically it is a Fender-era guitar. The actual move of the factory took place in 2001.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust