Song Question

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I saw a video here a year or so back.
It was a guy playing a Guild guitar and singing a song about a guitar.
Could someone please direct me to the video.
Thanks,
Dale.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I saw a video here a year or so back.
It was a guy playing a Guild guitar and singing a song about a guitar.
Could someone please direct me to the video.
Thanks,
Dale.
This?

BTW, if you have Amazon Prime, you can watch Verlon Thompson's Barnegie Hall for free. It's a pretty enjoyable thing to put on late at night, kick up your feet, and enjoy some really good guitar...

http://www.barnegiehall.com

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool song , glad I catch my bent finger typo as song could have with the letter D instead of S and that would be another song lol

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The reason that I wanted the video is someone from another guitar forum was asking about balanced sound compared to unbalanced sound.
I wanted to post this video and have people say whether the Guild sounded balanced or not.

To me, I can't imagine a more balanced sound. Every string sounds as clear and as loud as the others.
Could be the guitar or it could be the player or perhaps both combined.

F312

Reaction score
...and can someone tell me the model of the guitar?

Ralph

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought I had heard it was a D-40... but looking at it in the vid it looks more like a rosewood-bodied D-50. I think this came out in the Tacoma era... so it might be a D-50 Bluegrass with Adirondack top?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Thank you for the link.
I have been watching the shows.
This is a great series.
Always good to see who is behind the great songs that the singers always get the credit for.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The reason that I wanted the video is someone from another guitar forum was asking about balanced sound compared to unbalanced sound.
I wanted to post this video and have people say whether the Guild sounded balanced or not.

To me, I can't imagine a more balanced sound. Every string sounds as clear and as loud as the others.
Could be the guitar or it could be the player or perhaps both combined.
Richie Havens claimed the reason he loved Guilds so much was the balanced string-to-string volume, even with his open tunings.

jedzep

Reaction score
I can't quite see what Verlin is playing in this version of the same Guy Clark song. At first I thought it's a D28, but the belly on the bridge seems a bit pronounced for Martin. Anyway, I felt it was a good sample of contrast with the tone of the Guild he plays on the orig clip.

Love 'em both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey - the lyrics are great. Can you guys tell more songs with as good guitar - or other instrument - related lyrics?
First one that comes into my mind is "Tilt Billings and The Student Prince" - Leo Kottke

PittPastor

Reaction score
TMK, "The Guitar" was co-written by Verlon Thompson and Guy Clark.

Mine too. But Verlon seems highly differential to Guy, and always seemed to give him more credit. Although Guy said that Verlon basically wrote the music by himself. With everyone being so gosh-darn modest, its hard to figure out who really wrote it!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thank you for the link.
I have been watching the shows.
This is a great series.
Always good to see who is behind the great songs that the singers always get the credit for.

I enjoy the interviews. I've found the quick tips useful. And I love that the song writers are getting some credit and recognition. But -- oh my! -- some of those songs make me really appreciate the performer. For instance "The Dance" is a killer song. But I am oh-so-glad Tony sold it to Garth Brooks to do.

Still, it was a fun thing to watch. I wish there were a season 2.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey - the lyrics are great. Can you guys tell more songs with as good guitar - or other instrument - related lyrics?
First one that comes into my mind is "Tilt Billings and The Student Prince" - Leo Kottke

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - George Harrison. Check out the sweet acoustic version on the Beatles Anthology.

This one is from the "Love" soundtrack - orchestral strings have been added to it - the Anthology version has no strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJDJs9dumZI

walrus