12 srring w/ 2 inch nut width

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
anyone here have/play a 12 string w/a 2” nut? how different does it feel from 1+13/16” or 1+13.5/16”?

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
anyone here have/play a 12 string w/a 2” nut? how different does it feel from 13/16” or 13.5/16”?

Man, that's a wide nut. I was surprised at just 1/16" difference between 1-3/4" and 1-11/16" (on a 6-string). I bet an 1/8" difference feels plenty different.

Mark WW

Reaction score
The closest I have seen is a Seagull with a 1.9 but there are probably some custom made ones...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a 1965 F-312 w 2” nut. its unplayable pre repairs and so I do not know what to expect from it, and feeling somewhat intimidated. This will be an amazing project, but quite an effort for a guitar I may not enjoy playing all that much. it requires a Jacobs repair job, and must be driven to and from Florida, as I absolutely refuse to ship this guitar under any circumstances

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 1965 F-312 w 2” nut. its unplayable pre repairs and so I do not know what to expect from it, and feeling somewhat intimidated. This will be an amazing project, but quite an effort for a guitar I may not enjoy playing all that much. it requires a Jacobs repair job, and must be driven to and from Florida, as I absolutely refuse to ship this guitar under any circumstances

Wow Eric!!! Driving it to Tom in Florida, that's pretty amazing. I wish we lived closer together. I also have a 1965 F-312 that is an absolute train wreck. It likely won't be worth it financially, but I'm sending that one to Tom as well to see what he can do with it. I'm just a sucker for homeless dogs and cats and for abused Guilds. He'll likely get my '64 D 50 that's currently at another guys place with the neck, bridge, tuning machines etc. off. But, it looks like he may not have the time to get to that one and if so, off to Tom's it goes as well. Lastly, I have a really superb Jim Triggs Jumbo in Braz. RW that needs a neck reset so it will be finding its way there as well. Hmmmmm, hope I sell some gear soon.

Reaction score
A two-inch nut is close to classical width, but with a radiused fingerboard it is a bit easier to navigate for those of us with bad left-hand habits such as thumb-over chord grips. I have guitars with a range of neck widths (1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8, 2-1/8) and shapes, and changing any of the three main parts of the formula (width, depth/profile, radius) can affect feel and "playability" (which is actually how a particular left hand responds to a particular neck).

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Eric, FWIW, I would absolutely ship that guitar to Tom. Driving to Florida (ever again) is a total non-starter for me. I have shipped all over the world, and am confident that I would have no problem packing that guitar so that it will make it to FL unscathed. If you need help, and I would be happy to, you know where to find me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A two-inch nut is close to classical width, but with a radiused fingerboard it is a bit easier to navigate for those of us with bad left-hand habits such as thumb-over chord grips. I have guitars with a range of neck widths (1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8, 2-1/8) and shapes, and changing any of the three main parts of the formula (width, depth/profile, radius) can affect feel and "playability"
I believe a 1965 F-312 has a flat fingerboard, no radius at all.
Ralf
correct

And further corroboration here:

Music and its tools: Ralph Towner's Guild 12 strings guitar(s)
"Shortly after followed at least two custom-made at Guild's workshop: a Florentine cutaway F-212 and an abalone-less fretboard F-512: the first mahoganny bodied and the second in Brazilian Rosewood, both with flat, classical-like 52 mm at nut fretboards as per Ralph's wishes, needing the same room he was used to while playing his classical guitar.'
and
"I discovered by myself, after using two recent (for my standards) both from early '80s;-)) Guilds' - i.e. an F-112 and an F-512 with 42 mm wideness at nut.
Not bad guitars, BUT I always had the feeling of being imprecise in picking and fingering with my left hand... then I discovered the F-312 (1965), F-112 (1974) and F-212 (1964), ALL with that so wise 52 mm at nut.
... and my picking on 12 strings improved greatly."

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
anyone here have/play a 12 string w/a 2” nut? how different does it feel from 1+13/16” or 1+13.5/16”?

My Orpheum 000 12 Fret RW 12 String Slot Head Sunburst model (WOW, Say that 5 times fast, LOL!) has close to a 2" nut width. It makes fingerpicking an ease but it does take a few minutes for me to adjust to the neck width when I pick it up. The extra room between the strings however is wonderful when you are trying to be precise.

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks, all.

i would be driving to Florida anyway, and coordinate a trip or 2 w the guitar. which i dont mind doing. I hate flying, and airports, and most other public environments!

I have familly down there it would not just be for the guitar. with that said it will certainly take some arranging. Sandy, thanks for the offer. packaging/potential damage is not the only concern. im just superstitious i guess. I would just leave it the way it is, before shipping this one.