2000 Westerly D55 for sale and thursday will be a special NGD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakeb2193

Reaction score
Here is the link to my Reverb listing. Asking 2250 but 2150 to any LTG members. I prefer to make deals privately off of Reverb if you are interested. I also would like for people to weigh in on the arm rest theory. "Are we partially muting our guitars?""Are we restricting wood vibration?" Please comment on this high grade piece of Spruce. Thursday i will be receiving my first D100CRV!!! I can't wait!!!

https://reverb.com/item/28095674-gu...lk-a-megullary-marvel-guild-acoustics-vintage

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beautiful D55 and best of luck with the sale.
And, "yes" on the arm resting on guitar having some effect on vibration of the wood and altering sound. However, most of us change chords or notes so quickly, that no one tone is over a couple seconds and we would be hard pressed to detect that difference in sound--IMHO.

hideglue

Reaction score
It's a beauty alright. I'm always just weary of descriptors like "one of the last Westerly guitars"
A few thousand were built for the 9 months in '01 alone.
Your D55 is a beaut w/out the hyperbole. Good luck.

blakeb2193

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I would like see a new thread as well on the arm rest theory. Thanks for your feedback hideglue, I guess i could take that line out of the description. I was thinking a casual guild fan should know that 2000-2001 was the end of the westerly guilds. What do you guys think about the price? I sold a Tacoma, Washington built D55 last Sunday for 2200. Does anyone think D55's should be priced differently based on what factory they were built in?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The "one of the last" line doesn't bother me. Sure, they made a bunch, but there are people that would prefer a very late model Westerly and that's what will help them decide. If you want to be semantic, maybe just say one of the last years of Westerly production.

Sales and marketing involves a balance of hype and hard truth. I can't imagine someone wanting to return it because it wasn't verified to be one of the last 10 guitars made or something.

Does the arm rest come off? If it's glued on that significantly lowers my interest (I'm not a buyer - just stating how I view things)

blakeb2193

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback GAD. I don't know if its glue or some other Adhesive. I read online that they can be removed, but a luthier should do it. I don't know how long its been on the guitar, i don't know the brand or model name of the arm rest, and i agree that for some people, it will lower the value, and in some cases be a deal breaker.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! What a killer top! Dripping with silkiness is right!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Please comment on this high grade piece of Spruce.
Guild lit shows both years as AAA tops and as I've mentioned before Willie Fritscher was the guy who bought and graded the wood, and I suspect he was consistent in his standards.
And when the spec was higher than AAA it was called "specially selected" in the price lists that made the distinction.
"Who ever the person was in charge of selecting the tone woods for the D55's must have decided to find the best piece of book matched, quarter sawed spruce in the whole factory"
That would've been Willie if true, but I'd be willing to bet he probably sent that stuff to the Nashville Custom Shop.
Bet Hideglue knows.
PM sent.
Edit: Also, for context, Hideglue worked at Westerly during the period in question, so I give his input very high credibility.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

hideglue

Reaction score
Guild lit shows both years as AAA tops and as I've mentioned before Willie Fritscher was the guy who bought and graded the wood, and I suspect he was consistent in his standards.
And when the spec was higher than AAA it was called "specially selected" in the price lists that made the distinction.
"Who ever the person was in charge of selecting the tone woods for the D55's must have decided to find the best piece of book matched, quarter sawed spruce in the whole factory"
That would've been Willie if true, but I'd be willing to bet he probably sent that stuff to the Nashville Custom Shop.

That is correct: Willie selected & graded the tops. Though I can't say for sure what his process was. I'm not so sure there was an exact method. It was Willie, afterall.
As far as Nashville: Tim Shaw and Bruce Bolen made regular trips to Westerly.
Whether or not they cherry picked the Westerly hot room or already had their own at the CS is not known to me.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That is correct: Willie selected & graded the tops. Though I can't say for sure what his process was. I'm not so sure there was an exact method. It was Willie, afterall.
As far as Nashville: Tim Shaw and Bruce Bolen made regular trips to Westerly.
Whether or not they cherry picked the Westerly hot room or already had their own at the CS is not known to me.
Thank you!
Bookmarking for accuracy in case I ever want to refer back to it.

blakeb2193

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did not mean to misrepresent the grade or have my listing be offensive or false advertisement. I was having a little fun in title heading of the listing and attempting to be creative in my marketing. All I can do is speak my truth. This is my 4th D55 and its the best sounding to me and the prettiest. I received a near mint d100crv today, and the 2000 d55 has more silking than the 1993 d100crv. Everything is subjective in sound and taste. I also checked in with Richard and he says his 50th anniversary D55 looks close to the same on top.

beecee

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did not mean to misrepresent the grade or have my listing be offensive or false advertisement. I was having a little fun in title heading of the listing and attempting to be creative in my marketing.

I thought it was a hoot! Good luck with the sale that really is a special looking top.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did not mean to misrepresent the grade or have my listing be offensive or false advertisement. I was having a little fun in title heading of the listing and attempting to be creative in my marketing. All I can do is speak my truth. This is my 4th D55 and its the best sounding to me and the prettiest. I received a near mint d100crv today, and the 2000 d55 has more silking than the 1993 d100crv. Everything is subjective in sound and taste.
Yep.
I do believe this '00 D55 sounds better to you, and might actually show better response on something like an O-scope analysis (no snark intended)
I just questioned the validity of the observations about the top.
Gotta admit a seasoned buyer probably recognizes the difference between opinion and speculation and "fact".
And reading between the lines of Hideglue's comment "I'm not so sure there was an exact method. It was Willie, afterall." makes me realize that perhaps the very nature of the beast required him to make judgements based on changing availability and even ownership (Fender) demands so no actual "absolute standards" were possible.
It does appear that the quality of basic stocks did actually improve during the very late Westerly period which includes your '97 D55 and the current subject, especially evident in some of the utterly spectacular maple used in the Bluebird AAA model.
I also checked in with Richard and he says his 50th anniversary D55 looks close to the same on top.
And those were Englemann, out of Corona, but yeah pretty sure those were specially selected, can't recall for sure.
And I invite correction but it's my understanding that silking in and of itself is not an indicator of better strength but simply a pretty good guarantee that a top has been quartersawn.
https://www.lmii.com/blog/2019/08/01/what-are-medullary-rays/
Quartersawing yields the tightest possible grain in a cut, yielding wood that will have the best strength-to-weight ratio in any given log; but it's the grain tightness that's responsible for strength, not the medullary rays.
In fact Bogdanovich even discounts grain tightness but focuses on density, but I might observe that tightness does have a pretty good correlation with density.
He also gives his interpretation of the grading scale here:
https://www.jsbguitars.com/learn-about-guitar-wood/the-soundboard/

With respect I think you'd be better served simply referencing mentioning Willie Fritscher's role in top selection at Guild and leave it at that, it's something you can back with cold hard fact
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/woodselection.pdf
and even accolades from no less than Bob Benedetto. (my italics):
https://www.jsbguitars.com/learn-about-guitar-wood/the-soundboard/
"We are sorry to hear of the passing of our friend Willi Fritscher of Guild Guitars (the heart of the legendary guitar company), shown with Bob and Tim Shaw (center) at Guild Guitars in Westerly, RI, circa 2000"

Oh yeah btw, I know I've been a somewhat demanding critic and want to thank you again for all the provenance you cheerfully provide when requested.
Thanks for being patient.
I had a chance to revisit your first post about the F44MC and had forgotten you actually had contact with Tim Shaw and Than Shearon about that guitar, and that's nice to know you do care about provenance issues.
Final zinger in spite of Frono's preference:
I don't believe soundboard armrests allow enough extra top resonance to be audible, but for sure they probably help prevent sweat damage to that delicate NCL.
Personally would take it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.