Has Anyone used Heavy strings?

Antney

Reaction score
I need to thicken up my Yammy. I’m conflicted, my Guild has wonderful tone but the Yammy is so much easier and fun to play but sounds like a Taylor (that was an attempt at humor). Anyone ever use heavies?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've never tried "Heavies."

Curious why the Yamaha is so much easier and fun to play than the Guild, or was that also part of your attempt at humor?

As far as sounding like a Taylor, nothing will cure that. (my attempt at humor.)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tried them once on a 1973 Martin D-35. They were just too stiff and really choked the tone.
I cannot go heavier than mediums, and really, I am fine with light gauge strings even on dreadnoughts.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Before going to heavy's try a set of GHS or John Pearse Silk & Bronze strings.

b1vZl51l.jpg

They play like normal PB strings but sound warmer.

Silk & Steel will also give a warmer tone but they sound different to PB's.

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I often use heavies (14-59) on my F-50, really like them for swing style rhythm. Have gone as high as 15s on an archtop, again mostly for swing style. Generally use 13s on my dreads.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I need to thicken up my Yammy. I’m conflicted, my Guild has wonderful tone but the Yammy is so much easier and fun to play but sounds like a Taylor (that was an attempt at humor). Anyone ever use heavies?

Why is the solution heavier strings on the Yammy and not another Guild? :) :)

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I’d be careful before putting on heavies on any guitar. Check to make sure it will handle the extra tension.
If your not getting the tone you want with mediums, I’d be surprised if heavies would give you more... probably even the contrary and choke the top if its not braced for it.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
What makes the Yamaha easier to play? More comfortable neck shape? Smaller body size?

You can't change those on the Guild, so keep the Yamaha (at least until you find a more comfortable Guild). But I doubt heavy strings will make the Yamaha sound better. It will just put more stress on the top - as amply illustrated above! I wouldn't use anything beyond medium strings.

But if the Guild's shortcoming is action, neck set, fret problems, or nut and saddle set-up, a luthier should be able to fix it. It's a shame to have to set aside a Guild for a Yamaha!

If they were my instruments, I'd sell the Yamaha to help pay for correcting the Guild.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I’d be careful before putting on heavies on any guitar. Check to make sure it will handle the extra tension.
If your not getting the tone you want with mediums, I’d be surprised if heavies would give you more... probably even the contrary and choke the top if its not braced for it.

100% agreement.
Be surprised if a Yamaha is built to handle heavies. MAYBE mediums since they were more popular during the 60's-'70's build era.
What vintage Yamaha? Does it have a laminated top?
That may be the real culprit, even though "red label" Yamahas have been mentioned here as the exception to the rule that laminated tops are tone killers.
What makes the Yamaha easier to play? More comfortable neck shape? Smaller body size?
Right, we need to know more about the Yamaha.
Example, is it a "shortscale"? (24.75" typically)
Those use less tension to achieve standard pitch and so are inherently easier to play, but also inherently a bit quieter since less tension means less energy put into the top.

Last edited: