Bridge pin sizes

Reaction score
Anybody got a good list of bridge pin sizes for various Guild acoustics? Measured below the sikirt my '70 D50 is .209" x .137" which is a size 1 and my '90 D30 is .219" x .158" which looks like a 2A. Anybody got a definitive reference guide?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anybody got a good list of bridge pin sizes for various Guild acoustics? Measured below the sikirt my '70 D50 is .209" x .137" which is a size 1 and my '90 D30 is .219" x .158" which looks like a 2A. Anybody got a definitive reference guide?

I don't think there IS a definitive guide... in my experience with 11 Guild dreads spanning from 1971-1995, there have been at least four (or was it five?) different pins sizes, including 0.207" dia, 0.210" dia, 0.215" dia, up to 0.220" dia. All appeared to be 5 degree taper. Some of this could be factory variation (according to era)... but only the D-35 was bought new, so the others could have been reamed by previous owners.

If you are needing new pins for a Guild (or any guitar, for that matter), my advice would be to either (1) measure them carefully with a digital caliper before ordering anything pricey; or (2) send the ones you have now to be measured and copied. I guess #3 would be inexpensive plastic pins... so that if they don't fit, you aren't out a lot of $$$.

I have had pins custom made by (the late) Gordon Orth, Bob Colosi , and Bob England, as well as stock sets from Gurian Guitars. If the pins come a little large, I sand them down (I prefer modifying pins to fit the guitar, rather than vice versa).

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have had pins custom made by (the late) Gordon Orth, Bob Colosi , and Bob England, as well as stock sets from Gurian Guitars. If the pins come a little large, I sand them down (I prefer modifying pins to fit the guitar, rather than vice versa).
What HE said ^^^^

You can send Bob or the other guy pins and they're replicate for you.... or get your caliper out and take measurements and then order and be prepared to sand and shave!! Either way will work!! Welcome!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I found Tusq "presentation style" pins to be a perfect fit for both my dreads, they hold tight and they don't try to ride up when you tighten a new set of strings.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup Bob Colosi is the pin Overlord

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Which reminds me, how'd those platypus teeth work out?

Ah yes, well ............ I certainly appreciated your very kind gift but, sadly, I have to tell you that somebody sold you a pup. The Platypus you see, doesn't have teeth. Nor does its cousin the Echidna.
But, the Echidna does have large spikes and an Aboriginal luthier from Boing Boing turned me a set of bridge pins from a large male. I would describe the resultant tone as Marsuperial.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The mating call of female marsupials.

Ah, good old A'shki, nicely turned toward the prurient for me. Now that you're all fascinated, you will all, surely, be spellbound by this piece of info. ...........

3. Male echidnas have a bizarre, four-headed penis. You might wonder how you mate with a four-headed penis. During sex, two of the heads shut down while the other two grow bigger to fit into the female's two-branched reproductive tract. Males alternate the heads they use between matings. This one-sided ejaculation may play a role in sperm competition, as many males attempt to fertilize the same female. In another possible adaptation for sperm competition, echidna sperm form bundles that swim faster than individual sperm cells.

If you're curious about what the echidna's penis looks like (and really, who isn't?), you can find photos here and watch a video here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah, good old A'shki, nicely turned toward the prurient for me. Now that you're all fascinated, you will all, surely, be spellbound by this piece of info. ...........
3. Male echidnas have a bizarre, four-headed penis.

I used to think I wanted to reincarnate as a lion:
"When lions mate, they do so frequently. Copulation is repeated around 4 to 6 times an hour, and goes on for days."
Now you've got me thinking "Echidna".
Nice to have you back.
Even if you were responsible for shattering my high regard for the virtues of platypus tooth bridge pins.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well finally, there's something hornier than a 2-peckered billy goat! :shame: